Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10.5mo refusing solids

Default 10.5mo refusing solids

My son has been refusing solids off and on since about 7mo. He was taking them wonderfully, then was put on ABX for a UTI for about 3wks (the first AB wasn't effective). I gave him a full box of Florastore over a two week time period, and sometimes he would take solids, but sometimes not. Now he'll go on a solids strike, for about 4-5 days, and will then take an ounce or two, and then strike again. I'm giving him the Happy Baby pouches. I've tried spoon feeding him, finger foods, purees, stage 2, stage 3... I've even let him grab food from my plate - which he just squishes in his hand and smears into the high chair tray, floor, or his other hand.

He likes Mum Mums, for the crunch I'm sure, and he likes fruit strips. He is EBF, so I'm not necessarily worried about nutrients, just worried that he's not getting nutrients that do not pass through BM (iron, folic acid, vitamin D)... should I be worried? Anyone ever deal with something like this?
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting

Default Re: 10.5mo refusing solids

The best source of vitamin D is sunlight, not food. Iron passes through breastmilk. My son is anemic, but it is in all likelihood because I am also anemic. If you are concerned about iron you can always have your baby tested, altjough I doubt it is a problem if you have never been anemic. I don't know that much about folic acid.

I wouldn't worry too much. My son didn't eat any significant amount of food until he was around 15 months. Just keep offering and let your baby decide what to do.

Folic acid is present in breast milk. I can't give links right now, but just Google it and you'll find tons of info. Just keep offering healthy food, and eventually he will eat.

Offering food off my own plate and eating food off my baby's highchair tray helped get him more interested, but like I said before he was well over a year before he was reliably eating solids.

My son is 10.5 months as well, and he HATES baby food. He LOVEs to feed himself. I buy a whole organic rotisserie chicken (not flavored or salted) and take all the chicken off the bone and he snacks on that. He also loves to feed himself apple slices (skin off) and pear (also skin off). I give big slices and he kind of gnaws on it b/c he only has two teeth. So, maybe he is just wanting to feed himself more.

My son is doing something similar but not as extreme...he REFUSES anything spoon-fed. he loves feeding himself whether its off my plate or his high chair (or the floor)....sometimes i worry that he only had a few bites of food but then I remember he is getting his nutrients from my BM. You have to remember that now is the time they are beginning to build a relationship with food. as long as you make the food readily available, he will have a positive outlook (as long as you don't try ramming it down his throat). I'm happy if my son (also 10 months old) gets two bites of egg and 2 bites of zucchini...you can also try all different types of finger foods with different flavors and seasoning. I thought my son hated avocado until he grabbed a piece off my plate that had a vinaigrette...all of a sudden he is an avocado lover! Try to take a relaxed approach and eventually he will get more interested...Good luck!