Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What are your thoughts on taking Isoniazid while breastfeedi

Default What are your thoughts on taking Isoniazid while breastfeedi

What are your thoughts on taking Isoniazid while breastfeeding your 12 month old baby?

I guess I should start with earlier in the week I got a positive TB test...So the nurse wanted to start me on medication that is called Isoniazid for 9 months...It's news that I got all of a sudden and I've been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter since she was a baby...I've been trying to wean with no success...But finding out that I might have to take medication for 9 months to kill the bacteria kinda saddens me cause the nurse told me to completely stop breastfeeding. I don't think I'm ready to stop breastfeeding but if I have to then I will because I dont want the medication to effect my daughter. I've been trying to look up studies or other peoples opinions on this issue with no success..So hopefully I will find some answers on this forum. TIA

Default Re: What are your thoughts on taking Isoniazid while breastf

Call the people at Infantrisk. (Google it--I can't link it here at school.) They have the most up-to-date information on medication safety with breastfeeding. Doctors/nurses/pharmacists tend to be very conservative (or uninformed). Hopefully they will give you more positive news. Let us know what you find out.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

InfantRisk -
    We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Call Infant Risk. Was your baby tested as well? If she tested positive, what would she take? Often it's the same medication they plan to give to mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi everyone! Thank you sssooooo much for replying! You guys don't know how much I appreciate that you guys took the time to help me find more information! I will definitely let you guys know what I find out.

I did see my pediatrician today and I told her that I tested positive for TB and I'm waiting for my x-rays to come back to see if its negative or positive...I hope it comes back negative...cause I just started nursing school and I won't be able to go to clinicals unless its negative... It didn't seem like my pediatrician was concerned tho..I don't know...just didn't get that good vibe you know...I just moved into the area so I picked the first pediatrician that was close by...bad choice...They gave my son a TB test today because I asked them to do it...I wonder why the pediatrician didn't suggest to have my baby one also? It slipped my mind to even ask her to get my daughters done also. What shocked me was when the pediatrician told me you know you don't have to take the medication because I did it...I was like whoaaa.....She is from a different country and she said they always test positive and they gave me medication but I just threw it away...I can't believe she even told me that!!! I'm definitely not going back there!!

I will let you guys know what happened with my results! I'm in the process of looking for another pediatrician so I can get her tested or I might just go to a clinic and get her tested so I can know the results already

Thank you...you wonderful ladies for taking the time to even read my question! It really means the world to me that people like you want to help me! Thank goodness for this forum!

Oh, good luck! I hope it turns out to be a false alarm.

If you do need to take the medication, definitely call InfantRisk. I checked Isoniazid in Hale's Medications and Mothers' Milk, and it sounds like how safe it is depends quite a bit on the dosage and timing. The folks at InfantRisk can help you figure out how to minimize your daughter's exposure to the medication.

I'll email you the Hale entry.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

A positive TB skin test does not indicate TB. I have a positive TB test as I was exposed at some point in childhood. So now I have to get a chest x-ray every year. Also, it isn't incredibly easy for TB to spread from person to person.

Hang in there and wait for the results of the chest x-ray. My CXR was negative, and I was never given antibiotics.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    A positive TB skin test does not indicate TB. I have a positive TB test as I was exposed at some point in childhood. So now I have to get a chest x-ray every year. Also, it isn't incredibly easy for TB to spread from person to person.

Hang in there and wait for the results of the chest x-ray. My CXR was negative, and I was never given antibiotics.
    Was your positive test a bood test or a skin test? I got a positive TB skin test a couple months ago when I was tested when I got pregnant. Also likely due to suspected childhood exposure. (But I was never sick.) But, weirdly, I had not had a positive skin test in years! I was like, huh? They just had me take a blood test and that was negative.

Mine was a positive Mantoux skin test. When it swelled up and showed positive, the doc reminded me that all that means is that I've been exposed to TB and developed antibodies to it. I get a CXR once a year now, for nursing school and later for employment, and unless for some reason I actually develop active TB, I won't have to take any medication.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!