Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Some succes!! But now what????

Default Some succes!! But now what????

So, finally I get to post something positive. Anyone who saw my last posts knows I've been having a heck of a time nusing my LO (3rd child, the other 2 were nursing wonders by comparison!)

We were at the lactation consultant today and Matthias has gained a whopping 340 grams this week! Last week she scared the heck out of me because he'd only gained 70 (150 being what they like to see at least...). The past week, I have nursed and pumped like crazy and it seems to be paying off.

But, now what? We are nursing on both sides (switch feeding, somtimes twice on both sides) then pumping. Then giving pumped milk as supplement. My goal is to get rid of the need to supplement here (originally started because of poor wt. gain then lo got hooked seemingly on the bottle and was ignoring the breast and nursing very poorly). I've ordered the Medela calma nipple and plan on continuing to nurse on demand, and will offer the supplemented pump milk only when lo shows clear hunger cues. I'm going to slowly do this though as I think that might have been the reason for poor wt. gain 2 weeks ago. I think I decreased the supplemented milk too quickly.

Any other thoughts? Does this sound like a good plan??

Thanks again for all help! You folks are positively wonderful and I am sooo thankful I found this board!!!

Default Re: Some succes!! But now what????

Have you seen the Kellymom link on weaning from supplements? That might be very helpful to look up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!