Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: WIC breast pumps

Default WIC breast pumps

I live in Oklahoma, and plan to get on WIC for my maternity leave. I will be breastfeeding, but I anticipate latch issues because I was in a car accident 8 years ago that split my right breast in half internally, causing it to be deformed now.However, I am able to express colostrum from the breast (as much as the other.) So, I will most likely be nursing off one breast and pumping from the other at every feeding. Has anyone been on WIC and received an electric pump that you get to keep? I will be going back to work after 3 months and won't qualify for WIC for the entire first year, just the first 3 months, and if they will give me one to keep, I'll sign up, but if not and I have to buy one anyways, it would be better just to skip the whole thing and buy one myself. Any ideas?

Default Re: WIC breast pumps

I do not live in OK, but in Ohio we can order through medicaid a pump that moms can keep or we can give out a personal double to keep. However the personal doubles have certain requirements that are to be met. You may want to talk to WIC and explain exactly your issue. They may be understanding and give a personal double or order one through your insurance. I would say something to them first though before going through getting an appointment and such.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

with the PP.

I'm the Breastfeeding Coordinator of a WIC project. After the first month we can issue a double electric breastpump to women who are not receiving formula vouchers. I do know that in other states, this seems to be more difficult to achieve and they tend to rely on women using loaner pumps over the course of the first year instead of issuing keeper pumps. WIC cannot give or loan a breastpump to a woman who is not an active WIC participant however.

What kind of insurance do you have? Ordering through Medicaid or being reimbursed by a private insurance company would be the next step.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I have Aetna, and they won't pay for pumps unless the baby has a birth defect that requires a pump instead of nursing, or if the baby is hospitalized. They won't do it becasue of a deformity on my part. The baby will be on Blue cross blue shield, and I've heard they pay for them, but it would be her policy, not mine.

Yeah and we have to bill it to mom's insurance, not baby's.

Check into WIC and once you have baby and breastfeeding is established, ask about getting a keeper pump. Some will issue them sooner, it's just that our policy is to wait the first month unless it is a loaner pump. (Otherwise, we're out a bunch of pumps and and then mom returns saying that she quit breastfeeding at six weeks )
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

BCBS does not always pay for a pump. My fourth baby was born with a birth defect that precluded nursing, and they flat our refused to pay for a pump. I had two IBCLCs, our ped, our cleft team all write letters, but the insurance company was firm.

Buying a pump is cheaper than formula.

And baby might be able to nurse. I had two lumpectomies that destroyed half my breast. I had no idea that that breast made as little as it does until I had to pump for this kid. My other three thrived on milk from basically one breast. I would not jump the gun on this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!