Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We're done :sigh

Default We're done :sigh

It's official. My son hasn't nursed since Friday. He screams and arches and pulls back whenever I try to feed. I wanted to make it at least 18 months. It is bitter sweet. I wasn't ready, but it was clear that he was ready. I plan to at least pump and feed my milk for a couple more months just so he has it. I tried to explain how I felt to my husband, but all he did was berate me and tell me I was supposed to go 2 years. I told him that I knew that, it was my job (I am a CLC), and he told me I wasn't doing my job then. I started crying and told him he hurt my feelings and that it was really hard for me. He said he was sorry and that he didn't realize it mattered so much to me... sorry for the rant, but I knew you guys would understand. Thanks for listening.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Default Re: We're done :sigh

I'm sorry that your DH didn't understand, and that your son's weaning is so unexpected and sad. Perhaps you can keep trying though, at certain times. Maybe at night or first thing in the morning.

Regardless though, I think that making it past a year is a great accomplishment itself!! You should feel very proud! Great job!!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

to your DH.

Maybe your LO will come back to it...teething? Ear infection?

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i haven't done this myself (yet), but i've heard that nursing an older baby (like, 3, 4, 5) is often just a once a week thing. so maybe he's actually not quite done? keep offering, if you want!

sorry about the fight - i know how that goes - you want sympathy, not judgment! it must be doubly difficult being that you're a CLC - but you are not failing!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

He was teething 4 molars and the bottom two at the same time, but he actually nursed more when he was teething than now.
    I did think about still trying with him. I guess I am more upset at my DH than I thought I would be and that is what hurts most.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Keep offerring and he will likely come back to the breast. Often it can be teeth, ear infections, stuffy noses that stop baby for short times. Night nursing/sleepy nurses are good to re-start the connection but as pp mentioned some kids (usually older than 18 months) nurse less and less and often do go days and weeks without nursing just to return to the breast. Good Luck!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Hooray! Update, I was rocking my son last night when he was really sleepy and I was sitting there thinking how wrong it was that I still had some milk and his face is so close but he wasn't breastfeeding! So I pulled my shirt aside and started feeding him and he ate for a few min! So happy! My boob was getting sore too so that helped! (I'm a one sider feeder) Thank you everyone for being there for me!
    Passed my CLC exam!

How sweet! I'm glad you aren't done. My daughter rejected me at 18 months old (yes it totally feels like rejection!) and I offered for a month hoping to get her back. That's the best you can do is keep offering.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97