Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning.

Default Night weaning.

DS is 2.5 years and still wakes at least once a night and asks to nurse. I would like to night wean him, but am torn. This is my last baby, so part of me doesn't want to let go, but the other part of me just wants to sleep all night long and not get up to nurse him anymore. If I committed to it, DH would do all the night wakings until we broke the habit. He currently nurses at least 3 times a day during the week and more on weekends.

I just don't know what to do.
    Robin

Default Re: Night weaning.

Did you come to any decision?
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

I think we're going to night wean. DH is on board (as much as he can be on board about getting up with DS instead of me). I am thinking we will start on a Friday night so we can nap while DS naps after the tough nights. Not sure if we will start this fri or next, but I thing DS will have a tough time with it. He is so reliant on the boob during the night. I *think* it's more for comfort, but there are times whn I do think he is hungry, although when he gets a smoothie before bed, which is not long after dinner, he still gets up during the night to nurse. He does he his baby and teddy bear in bed with him to snuggle with, so we just need to teach him to snuggle with them instead of nursing.
    Robin

Good luck! let us know how it goes.... I'm trying to get my LO to be ok with Daddy lovins at nighttime but we're still stuck on the whole nursing bit too. I'm ok with that since he's only 10mos, but eventually...
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Any updates from either of you? My DS is 15 (almost 16) months and we are still at 2-3 "feedings" at night. I would like to at least take it down to 1-2, but I'm just not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions would be great!

I used Dr. Jay Gordon's method with my daughter. I didn't follow his strict timeline, but the process was the same and it was effective and relatively gentle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He rarely nurses during he night anymore. The thing that helped the most was DH going in to soothe him back to sleep for a couple weeks just to break the habit. Unfortunately, he really isn't sleeping any better, but at least I don't havea to sit there and nurse him to get him back to sleep. I just give him a drink of water and snuggle him for a couple minutes and he goes back to sleep.
    Robin