Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Explaining weaning to older children

Default Explaining weaning to older children

It seems to me that most people encourage weaning by the time children are 4 plus

so i wonder what sort of conversations you had with your children as to why they need to stop when they love that connection so much and don't understand why they would need to stop!!??

cheers

sharon

Default Re: Explaining weaning to older children

"Mommy's tatas/boobs/breasts/whatevers are getting tired. They need a rest." My older daughter understood that pretty well even at age 2-3.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Explaining weaning to older children

With both my DDs we started talking about stopping about 6 months or so before actually doing it. They were both down to nursing 1-2 times per day on their own and would sometimes go a couple of days without.
    We talked about how they were getting older and going to preschool, and about all the foods and drinks they could have now and how there would still be lots of ways to have special time together. Stuff like that.
    DD1's last nursing day was her 4th birthday. DD2 and I planned on the same but my milk dried up earlier due to pregnancy.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on