Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about ovulating after weaning

Default Question about ovulating after weaning

Two mos. ago, I weaned my 20 m.o. from 8+x/day to 1x/day b/c I have not had ppaf yet and I had been uncomfortably dry; not enjoying sex AT ALL, and had NO libido. About a week ago, I noticed cm for the first time since Aug. 2010. It quickly increased to the fertile kind which prompted me to take an ovulation test. It was positive! My eyes just about popped out of my head! I've heard the first cycle often ends with a short LP until your body becomes normal again, however this also seems to correlate with getting ppaf very early on postpartum. I've read the longer you go without ppaf, the likelier the first cycle will be ovulatory (with a sufficient LP for pregnancy?). Any words of wisdom or experience from you ladies?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Question about ovulating after weaning

For me, I actually had a few anovulatory cycles. An OPK isn't going to really be definitive anyway, from what I understand, but just telling you that hormones are rising that are associated with ovulation, right? The only way to know at home (aside from ultrasound) is to take your temperature every morning with a basal body thermometer and see if you get a temp shift. My LP was short for quite a few months and still have some weird issues going on approaching my daughter's 3rd b-d.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yes, I am attempting to chart again, even though I am cosleeping and not necessarily getting the 3 hrs. before I wake up. We'll see...

I rarely get 3 hrs straight, ever and still am able to see if a cycle is ovulatory or not. It just depends on how sensitive your body is to not sleeping, I think.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I chart, but BBts do not work for me. But if I see CM, I assume it's fertile.

I did get pregnant with no AF, so it's very possible. And my luteal phase is usually 9 days, and it's all good. everybody is different.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

^^ Interesting about your LP, Susan. I always heard if it's less than 10 days, implantation is unlikely, let alone 9 - you defy science!

I had been told it could implant, but it might not stick because the CL might not be up and running quite yet. But apparently I had enough progesterone, as Logan should not have happened otherwise.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!