Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with son who only naps nursing

Default Re: Please help with son who only naps nursing

Thank you all again. Super support Tried the floor, it was a disaster. He didn't want to nap, just play. I'm going to start smaller, getting him to pull off my breast. That seems like a good starting point.

I was thinking I had failed him because a 16 month old should be able to sleep in his crib or spend time alone in his crib, but I realize now that is not success. Success is that I have been able to get him to nap everyday since he was born. Sleep that makes him happy and his brain grow. I am a good mom. As I lay with him in bed today I reminded myself that this won't last forever, and when it is over it will be sad. So for now I will take it slow and continue to enjoy it.

I'm excited to have found this forum as well...Best wishes, mamas!

If I did not want to nap when my toddlers did, I took a book with me and read while they nursed and napped. Same for when nursing them down at night. (I used a little book light.)

My 5 year old son (long weaned) still naps 2-3 times a week, happily, in his own bed. Kindergarten is tiring! He is the only 5 year old I know who does this, although many could use it (imo!) So nursing him to sleep when a toddler did not hurt his ability to nap (or sleep great at night) in the least. It's one of the few areas I feel confident I did not mess up, mommy wise.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*christa View Post
    Tried the floor, it was a disaster. He didn't want to nap, just play. I'm going to start smaller, getting him to pull off my breast. That seems like a good starting point.
    That sounds like a good plan. Transitions like that can take some time. He may need to get used to the feel of the comforter on the floor too. Getting outside for fresh air and exercise before nap time also helps my son get better naps.

I'm glad you realize what a great mother you are! There are too many unrealistic sleep expectations out there that others push on us. It can get really overwhelming sometimes. As long as we do what we can to help our babies get some sleep and feel secure and loved, then we are doing the right thing. I think they all sleep on their own when they are ready to do so.

ETA: By the way it is late and I am up right now because my 17 month old is getting his canines in and needs to be nursed and cuddled and rocked for awhile so that he can get back to sleep. You are certainly not alone in this!
    Last edited by @llli*phi; April 30th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*christa View Post

I was thinking I had failed him because a 16 month old should be able to sleep in his crib or spend time alone in his crib, but I realize now that is not success. Success is that I have been able to get him to nap everyday since he was born. Sleep that makes him happy and his brain grow. I am a good mom.
    yep!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.