Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 1/2 week DS abnormally fussy this evening...

Default 5 1/2 week DS abnormally fussy this evening...

I am EBF DS who is 5 1/2 weeks old. We have had no problems up to this point other than I do have some oversupply and faster flow on the right side. I was able to breastfeed my DD for 14 months with no issues 3 1/2 years ago. Here is my situation and hoping it was just an abnormal occurrence.

He typically nurses on demand any where from 1-2 hours. Was 8lb 11oz and 21 inches birth and at 1 month well visit is currently 11lb 2oz and 23 inches. Has good urine and stool output. He was really fussy this evening beginning 6 pm and was cluster feeding. This is not unusual for him. However, at about 8 pm He was wailing and pulling off of both breasts. I think he was frustrated becaus he wasn't getting a let down. I had to give him a 3 oz bottle of breastmilk to stop his crying (I did pump once he was asleep to get these 3 oz back).

I am just curious from others experiences if anyone experienced this? I am initially thinking that we might be beginning his 6 week growth spurt. I am just concerned that I might not be able to keep up with this big growing boy. I would not have normally given the bottle but was desperate as I was own my own tonight for bedtime with DS and 3 1/2 yr Old DD.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: 5 1/2 week DS abnormally fussy this evening...

You can keep up with a big growing boy, but you'll make it WAY harder on yourself if you keep giving bottles! If this is his growth spurt, then what he needs is to nurse all night long to increase your supply. Making up the 3 oz by pumping later just keeps you stable - and teaches him that crying will get him much easier milk. and of course pumping is harder milk for you! Maybe not this one bottle, but babies can form habits amazingly quickly. Settle down on the couch, co-sleep if possible, and nurse nurse nurse.

And always remember that babies have to swallow what comes out of a bottle, so just because he sucked down a 3 oz bottle doesn't necessarily mean he wanted all that 3 oz.

Lots of babies go through the evening fussies around this age, too - also totally normal (if not fun).

Good luck, hang in there, keep nursing!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with the PP. I'm thinking that you got a dose of the severe evening fussies- a.k.a. the witching hour(s) or evenings-only colic. It's rotten but normal, and has nothing to do with supply. It's just developmental. Both my girls went through it- they would start fussing-screaming-refusing to nurse at the exact same time of day every day for about 1-2 months. With DD1 it was like clockwork: the clock would flip from 6:59 to 7:00 and the screaming would begin!

The PP gave good advice about just nursing, nursing, nursing. If baby will nurse, that is! I actually think you did fine giving just one bottle and then pumping to get that 3 oz back- that is what I had to resort to with baby 1, and she eventually stopped requiring an evening bottle. Some other things that help with fussy evenings:
    - calm house. Turn off lights, stereo, and tv.
    - white noise.
    - motion- take baby for ride in car or stroller, rock in a rocking chair, sway, swing, etc.
    - take baby outside
    - give him a bath
    - wear baby in a sling
    Basically it's all about changing the stimuli and diverting baby's mind from the fussing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I have been nursing on demand and the bottle was complete desperation last night and don't plan to do again. I think I just broke trying to adjust to two kids both needing something at the same time. Looking forward to my husband coming home in a few days. Learning that every baby is different.

Appreciate the advice and support.

Hang in there, mama! Being on your own with a new baby and a toddler is TOUGH. Just remember that it's also temporary. If your oldr child stays up late once in a while, eating pcorn and zoning out in front of a DVD, that is not the end of the world. Hope your DH comes homes ASAP!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"