Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possibly stupid question re thrush/sunlight/tanning

Default Possibly stupid question re thrush/sunlight/tanning

I was told when DS was very little that sun exposure helps kill thrush. My LLL leader even said to sit in front of an open window with my breasts exposed to get rid of it. LOL NOT where I live! We're in a duplex on a busy road and no windows facing away from people! LOL I'd scare them with these things!

Anyway, I've been soooo against tanning beds since DD (6) was born due to skin cancer, aging. But, I've really been working on losing weight before DS was born (lost 50 lbs, now another 20 to go! UGH!) and would really like to get some sun on my skin. Just a little! If I try real sun, I burn within 30 minutes I'm so fair complected. But if I start VERY slow in a bed, I do tend to tan a little.

Anyway, I'm trying to convince YOU ladies why it's okay for me to tan! Hahaha! But now I have (and I posted another post about this) the suspicion I may have thrush. So I'm wondering (and here's the stupid question), is tanning in a tanning bad similar to the sunlight that would kill thrush? Could this help if I expose my nipples in the tanning bed or is it different as far as what kills the fungus? Just curious, really, and maybe hoping for an excuse to get a little color on me!

Default Re: Possibly stupid question re thrush/sunlight/tanning

I don't know about thrush and sunlight, but the risk of tanning beds isn't worth it for me. If you want some color, have you tried spray tanning (there may be another name for it )?

Default Re: Possibly stupid question re thrush/sunlight/tanning

LOL Yes and I HATE spray tanning! My sister goes to the same place I went and looks GREAT, but I'm sooo pasty white that it just looks bad on me! I haven't tanned even really in natural sunlight since DD was born, so really since summer of 2004 (because I was pregnant 2005) other than being outside under a tree at the park and the occasional swimming pool. I just burn way too easy, even with tons of sunscreen! So I thought this year I'd just get my skin a little used to it so I won't burn. Sunburns hurt so bad!!!! LOL But I probably won't end up even going.....unless I find out I really do have thrush AND it really would help because I can NOT go through that again!!!!