Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Frustrated!

Default So Frustrated!

My OALD just seems to be getting worse and worse in stead of better! I've been blockfeeding since I knew what it was (several weeks) and it helped at first, but all of a sudden the OALD is out of control. It used to just shoot out one stream at first letdown, but now it shoots out three or four streams at a time and I have three or four forceful letdowns per feeding!!!

Poor DD is getting frustrated and pops on and off the nipple so many times per feeding now. She is learning how to clamp down, which HURTS. And when I try to catch the [many] letdowns in a towel, she screams and screams with impatience. I've been expressing the initial letdown in te sink before offering the breast, but once she starts sucking I just have another one. This is out of control! What can I do??

Default Re: So Frustrated!

How long are your blocks? Have you tried lengthing the time you go before switching sides?

Do you have any hormonal imbalances that you are aware of? Have you had your thyroid checked?

Hang in there,

Tiana

I have just gone one breast per feeding, unless she wants to eat sooner than two hours later, then I will give the same one.

I haven't had any hormonal imbalances checked, I never would have thought of it. Could my OB/GYN tell me anything about it?

Well, sometimes a thyroid problem can contribute to milk supply issues. I'm not sure if your ob/gyn would be the person to talk to about that specific issue, but a family doctor or endocrinologist would probably be able to check your thyroid levels. An endocrinologist specializes in hormones and glandular function.

Although, if you are only using 2 hour blocks, it is possible that simply lengthening your blocks to 4 hours would improve your situation. Many moms find that two hours is just not a long enough period of time for them. HTH.

Tiana

Thanks so much, I'll just try lengthening the blocks before blood testing etc. Haha. I guess I didn't think I should for some reason.

You're welcome . Keep me posted!

I second the 4 hour blocks!! I hope it gets better for You!

Thanks for the support, ladies, I'll definately report on how it goes.

Wow, Rusaalka. We have the same issue! My left breast seems to have gotten worse after starting the block feeding (4 hr right/2 hr blocks on the left). Instead of one stream, 3 streams shoot out of the left nipple! I've tried the reclined positions, expressing just a little to reduce force, etc. I can't tell when a letdown occurs so it's hard for me to gauge when to give my DS a break. Even when I do break during the feeding, he gets REALLY impatient. SO my hubby and I are tempted to pump and feed him the bottle until my production evens out. Skipping the breast...

Any advice out there on this tactic? Or should I just plow through the tantrums at the breast? It's every hour that we play this "game" at the breast since he can't really get a full meal without getting too frustrated. Thanks so much!

tbaby~ My only thought for you is that pumping often makes oversupply problems worse, not better. How long have you been block feeding? Sometimes it can take a few weeks before things really start to improve.

You could try modifying your block feeding schedule to see if that would help. Maybe five hours on the right before 2 on the left?

HTH,

Tiana