Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having some trouble. Need help.

Question Having some trouble. Need help.

Hi everybody,
    I started weaning my daughter when she was 8 months. She is almost 9 months now. It has been about 3 weeks and so far I have only dropped one feed. I plan to drop another one soon. (I work and don't want to/can't really pump anymore). The problem is that when I do nurse her she hasn't been very interested (this has been a problem for months now). She just wants to play or watch her brother play. So the morning feed doesn't go too well and then the afternoon feed (on days I don't work) she isn't too interested and then before bed feed isn't too long either. Sometimes she wants to nurse a lot during the night (more than once) but usually she only wakes up one time to nurse. I am worried that she isn't getting enough to eat. I used to worry before too but now I worry about it more. If I drop the afternoon feed and she doesn't take much interest in the morning and evening feeds what will happen. I have been planning to continue nursing in the morning and evening and nightime until she looses interest but I'm pretty sure she can't loose intrest yet right? It's too early for her to do that. If she keeps this up will I loose my supply altogether? I know I still have plenty of milk because I can hear her swallowing and because when she pulls off to look around I see the milk in her mouth. Could it be that she just drinks REALLY quickly? I mean like 3-5 min on one side and then 2-4 or so on the other? Or am I in for a problem in the long run?
    Please help!
    Zena

Default Re: Having some trouble. Need help.

In the same boat. My 8 month old son has started to only nurse before his nap, before bed, once or twice in the middle of night, and once early in the morning. He only nurses for 1-5 minutes. Occasionally a little longer but most of the time less. I have to go back to work in little over a month and considered weaning him completely before going into day care but my son will not drink formula. His weight is normal and he is very active and very easily distracted when nursing. He doesn't eat a lot of solids in comparison to other babies I know his age. So I will continue to nurse him and supplement him with solids the best I can. I've never been a succesfull pumper--2oz for 30 minutes. I even bought an expensive one because I thought it was my pump. Anyway, I hate doing it so thats that. So I hope nursing once in the morning, after work, before bed, possible twice at night with a 10 month old is enough because that is all I can do.

My 8 month old son nurses once around 730 or 8 in the morning. Then again around 600pm, and around 9pm to get him to sleep. He will nurse once during the night, sometimes he goes through without it. I work part time, and he does great while I am away. When someone else watches him, he drinks water/juice, and lots of solids, but when I come around it is a different story. He is burying his face in my chest..saying "mmmmma, mmmaa." He won't say "mama" yet.
    It seems to be working out good so far, we have only been doing this for 1 month now.
    BTW....the reason I put him on this schedule is b/c he WILL NOT drink formula or ebm from anything, esp. a bottle. He never took a pacifier either. He will drink from regular cup, and occasionally a sippy cup. But believe me it was not easy to get him there.
    What can I say...I just tell everyone he's a mama's boy!!!

Hi there, the AAP recommends that babies continue to receive Breast milk or formula as their primary source of nutrition for at least the first year of life. LLL does not recommend weaning before that time? If you are feeding bottles lets say at 7, 11, 3, 7 and your baby sleeps through the night, I would say that those bottles should be about 6-8 ounces each. That would mean that they would get roughly 24-32 ounces in a day. The beauty of a breastfed baby is that we do not know how much they get. In this case If you are concerned about the baby getting enough to eat I would look at their output, wet and soiled diapers etc...
    If you still bfing and are concerned about your supply I would cut back on the solids, juice , water and nurse more. About the distraction part, we have def dealt with that, my best advice would be to really make a conscious effort to nurse in a dark, quiet room, if after the let down you feel that dc looses interest I would do some breast compressions to keep the flow going...I have found that the combo of the above things keeps my nursling nursing longer at each feed. 8 months is a huge time for a distracted nursling, if we moms are not careful we can end up with a child weaned to early or a very low supply. I hope that this helps!

How many wet diapers should a 8 month breastfed baby have? Of course sometimes he peeps twice in one diaper. It seems unless he has a bowel movement I only change him in the morning before his afternoon nap again around 4PM and then around 7PM, sometimes more. He doesn't seem to mind wet diapers and actually fights me like you wouldn't believe when I try to change him. Trying to play peek-a-boo when changing a poopy diaper is a real challenge.
    Thanks for your replies