Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thursh or something else causing pain?

Default Thursh or something else causing pain?

About nine days ago, DD bit me when nursing due to some teething pain he had going on. It hurt like heck at the time but was fine for three to four days. Then I started noticing pain that got worse over a couple days. By a week after, I was in major pain every time he nursed and EXCRUCIATING pain when I had to pump while working. I noticed a [B]very[B]small lesion right under my nipple. It's right under it where when I pump, the pump was pulling it apart, if that makes any sense? And it even bled a very tiny bit during one pumping session, but not even enough to notice in the milk, just noticed on the pump itself where the sore was. I started wiping my nipples with a vinegar/water mixture or GSE/water mixture (because before I noticed the lesion I was afraid I had thrush). Once I noticed the lesion, I applied some Neosporyn-type ointment four to five times to help it heal more quickly, but I still used the vinegar or GSE, hoping to keep from getting thrush. LOL I had really bad cracked nipples in the beginning and applied Lanolin like CRAZY and ended up with thrush, so, as you can tell, I'm terrified of having it again. There has been no pain -- not labor, not kidney stones, nothing -- like that thrush was on my nipples/ducts!!!!!!

I'm sorry this is getting long! LOL I'm so long-winded, I know!

So, anyway, the lesion appears to be gone, but I'm still having pain on this nipple. It is better, but it's still pretty bad when he nurses! And it's not just during nursing/pumping. If I accidentally touch my breast with my arm just moving about, it hurts pretty bad.

Do you think it could be thrush? Do you think it's something else? I'm just soooo worried it's thrush and I want to get rid of it QUICKLY if it is!!!!! What should I do? I started taking probiotic. I had a prescription for Diflucan and started it (though I realize now I probably should have waited because I know my body can get used to it and it not work, but I freaked out! LOL). I'm starting a new healthier eating diet tomorrow and cutting out most of my sugars/all processed foods, hoping to help that way.

What do you ladies think? Besides the fact that you probably now think I'm insane/crazy! LOL A little OCD, I'd say, but if you've had thrush (especially intraductal thrush), I'm sure you get where I'm coming from!

Default Re: Thursh or something else causing pain?

I beleive it's pretty rare to have thrush on only one side. When you had it before, was it one side or both? If the lesion is gone, maybe there is still something under the skin, like some kind of hidden bleb? Does your nipple appear normal (any cracks, pus, bleeding ,flaky skin, shiny skin?)

What about trying APNO? http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Default Re: Thursh or something else causing pain?

I did have it on both sides last time, but the left side was much, much, MUCH worse than the right. It's the left side this time. Nipples look normal, maybe a tad bit more purple/shiny than usual but not super different, if that makes sense?

Don't you need a prescription for that APNO? That type of thing is usually hard to get out of my doc. Though she gave me several refills on the Diflucan once she saw the shape of my nipples when I had thrush. Yuck!