Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help!! stool diapers are scarce

Default help!! stool diapers are scarce

Hi I'm new here. My baby is 12 days old. She is not having many poopy diapers. Just 2 yesterday, 0 the day before and 2 the day before that. She has tons of wet diapers. The lack of poo worries me. She was given formula for a few days to help with the jaundice until my milk came in. but that was over a week ago.

She has a shallow latch. And will nurse until she falls asleep. Sometimes 5 to 10 minutes. However, she will nurse 20 - 30 minutes release the nipple then roots when I put her down. Seems like she's rarely satisfied or not getting enough.

he stool today was peanut butter like and brown. The one after that was a dark mustard color very soft and had a bit of mucous in it. Her 2 week checkup is in 2 days but im driving myself nuts. I want to breastfed her but u want her to be healthy too.

Default Re: help!! stool diapers are scarce

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Given that you're seeing plenty of pee, you can be confident that your baby is staying hydrated. But the relatively infrequent poops are a little worrisome. At 12 days, you want to be seeing 3-4 poops a day (according to this reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...s/enough-milk/). So 2 every other day is a little on the low side, although the color and consistency make me think that everything is likely okay. Don't freak out. Just wait for that check-up in 2 days and see what the scale says- and make sure baby is weighed on the same scale as last time wearing exactly what she wore the last time she was weighed. If she was weighed nude, make sure she's nude again. At this age, even an oz can mean the difference between normal and not.

If there's a problem, see an IBCLC and/or come back here, and we'll help you troubleshoot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"