Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cluster feeding and pumping

Default Re: Cluster feeding and pumping

Is the cluster feeding happening at any particular time of day, perhaps in the evenings? You could always skip the pumping in the evenings and just nurse on both breasts (I know that means using the ouch one!), and then go back to pumping after nursing during those times when baby isn't asking to cluster feed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The pumping was originally to maintain my supply in the damaged breast and to increase the supply in the other (which had been lost due to her lack of sucking). Now I pump after to keep the supply up, not necessarily to increase it. Since she wasn't sucking well she wasn't stimulating the breast enough. Now that we are working our way off the SNS the pumping is working to help me put milk in the freezer but my LC has me doing it to keep my supply established.

Thanks for all your answers! Cluster feeding is your baby's way of increasing supply, and much more effective than a pump. So I would say as long as you're nursing on demand all the time, fit in the pumping when you can, when she's not cluster feeding, without worrying too much about doing it after every nursing. I.E. what mommal said
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I was pumping originally because dd wasn't transferring well. I am still pumping tO ensure my supply while my dd gets better at nursing and until we are successfully off the SNS. Tonight I just stopped pumping and nursed her when she cued. I can back and finished up the pumping hours later after she finished her cluster feeding. Her sets and messes are plenty.
    Last edited by @llli*kass.love; April 30th, 2012 at 05:02 AM.

good job! sounds like you're well on your way to getting off the SNS.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you everyone for the responses! Greatly appreciated!