Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too soon to STTN?

Default Is it too soon to STTN?

Hi,
    My baby is now 4 months 2 weeks old and has been sleeping 5h at night since 2 month old (nurse 10 pm then 3 am). He then nurses hourly until 7-8am which doesn't bother me cause we cosleep for that part of the night.
    He has turned into a fussy nurser during the day for the last month or so (too impacient to wait for that second letdown) but I wasn't worrying cause he would nurse really well at night.
    Problem is: the past week he has been making 7-8 hour stretches (today I woke him at 6am to nurse)!! This happened around the 4 week old mark too and weight gain stalled a bit at that time. I don't want it to happen again and it seems too soon to sttn like that for a 4 month old... I haven't weighed him but he was at the 75th percentile for weight 2 weeks ago and looks all chubby... diaper cout seems fine (pees) although pooping less for a while (guess it's normal?)
    Should I wake him up at night? Will this hurt my supply? What do you ladies think?
    Thanks a lot

Default Re: Is it too soon to STTN?

At this age, I think you can safely let him sleep. But if you are game to nurse him at night, go ahead! Maybe right before you go to sleep- wake him for one last nursing session?

Thanks for your input Mommal! Helpful as always

I agree - it's not necessary to wake at this age... however a lot of mama's do a dream feed just before they go to bed themselves... sort of a top up A dream feed is simply nursing your baby while they are sleeping, as most babies will open up and nurse if they feel/smell their mama's breast on their lips - without waking up.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I would not wake the baby to eat. If you are engorged you could always pump overnight to relieve the pressure. But if your baby continues to STTN and you do not wake to pump, your supply will adjust accordingly.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I agree. I'd take his cues and get some sleep. Before you know it, he'll be having a growth spurt and wake every 2 hours!!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Yes, when we think we have it all figured out they go ad change their "schedule" again...
    Thank you ladies!