Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about finishing the first breast first

Default Question about finishing the first breast first

Things have been getting better for us. I'm now exclusively breastfeeding since the pain has gotten better. We still have some things to work on (getting her to open wide every time is a big one), but overall there's been a big improvement.

However, she never seems to empty the breast. It goes down a lot, but I can always hand express more easily when she's finished. After she swallows regularly for a while she will do one of these things: Fall asleep like she is full or she is wide eyed and sucking really fast like she's trying to get the milk flowing again. With both scenarios I assume she's gotten all she can get from there and take her off, yet I just give a small squeeze and it starts dripping out again. Why can't she get more if it comes out that easily? I want to make sure she's getting enough hind-milk. Should I offer the same breast two feedings in a row?
    She's been having a lot of green poop since I started to breastfeed exclusively as opposed to feeding her expressed breast milk. She still has yellow and sometimes dark brown poops too. Is all of this normal and I'm just over thinking it?

Default Re: Question about finishing the first breast first

Not emptying the breast is not a big deal, provided that baby is peeing/pooping enough and gaining weight at a normal pace. As long as baby is excreting/gaining appropriately, you can trust your baby to maintain supply at the right level. Sometimes this means baby will be leaving milk in the breast after nursing.

Green poop is also not a big deal, provided that baby is gaining weight at a normal rate. If after several weeks of nursing, the poop remains consistently green, let us know and we'll see what we can do to help you troubleshoot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with all mommal said.

"Finish the first breast first" is also another way of saying "watch the baby, not the clock"...In other words, to follow babies cues as opposed to thinking (for example) that every feeding must be "15 minutes on right, 15 on left." "Finish the first breast first" does not mean "totally and completely empty the first breast before switching sides" which may never happen, for some moms. Your body is always going to be making milk.

It sounds like you are watching your baby, not the clock, and following her cues. When she seems 'finished' on one side, you can either offer the same side again, offer the other side, or (if she is asleep or not interested in more) just have the feeding end after one side. It will depend on how you and baby feel at the time.

Thanks for responding so quickly, I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. I'm just puzzled by the fact that at times she is sucking away and not getting anything, but it's definitely there. She's gaining weight, actually she's getting quite chunky! Lots of pees and poops. I guess I just needed a bit of reassurance. Thanks

Why do you think she is not getting anything? Sounds like she is doing great. Good work mom!

maybe she just likes to suck? nothing wrong with that if it doesn't bother you.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I had exactly the same issue. In my case it was oversupply, but not overactive letdown. It was a great opportunity for me to increase my freezer stash, to be honest. I hand expressed the other side to comfort, and froze the milk. My baby is now 11 weeks, and finally nurses from both sides. Your milk supply will settle down, though it doesn't seem like it at the time