Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nursing for hours on end and no napping

Default Re: nursing for hours on end and no napping

Interesting advice from the LC. I actually did something similar with my first LO, when her latch was so bad that she couldn't transfer milk well. Did the LC recommend a very good pump to you? I started out using a pump that wasn't adequate for the job, and did not see good results until I switched to a hospital-grade pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's reassuring. We'll start w the medela swing and upgrade to a hospital grade when one is available for rent. Am hoping better latching and compression on my part will help too.

Weight gain is always a good thing! Congrats! Even though you may have wanted it to be more (I can relate!) you did a good job feeding your baby and you did it facing a lot of challenge. Congrats to you! Also, weight checks are just a snap shot. Maybe the next weight check your LO will be a lot higher. That happened to us one time!

One thing to try is a really good burping. With all 3 of my girls in the early days, their marathon sessions just about drove me crazy. I learned that making sure I gave them a really, really good burping between (or every 20 - 30 minutes) helped. The fussing (for them) was the gas. It took up space, made it painful, they weren't getting the milk.... So burp well and burp often. It might free up the space from gas, put in more milk, fill her and get her to nap.

Weight gain and good diaper output means you're doing well Momma. You really are!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Just going to revive this thread with a few (perhaps needy) questions.

The LC said to supplement with 2 ounces formula and/or pumped milk after limiting my girl to 30 minutes on the breast. Is it OK to not follow this exactly? I want her to gain the weight she needs -- but at the same time she is gaining (just not rapidly). And, I know it's not about me, but I don't want this to be the end of our feedings. I love them and I think she likes them too.

We may be through the roughest of the growth spurt. She's had some feedings, with good sucking and swallowing, where she pulled herself off after 20 minutes. I'm trying to follow her lead at those times and didn't supplement with the bottle afterward. If she's on for much longer than 30 minutes and does her really sad "I can't get enough" cries and starts to writhe and chomp, then I supplement. Sound OK?

Diaper output is still good but with the little bit of formula some green has returned. Is that common? Or am I blaming another problem on formula?

She slept well the past 2 nights -- longest stretches have been between 2.15 and 3 hours. The worst sleeping is daytime. She went 4 hours without any naps or deep sleeps yesterday and just looked wired. Incredibly she wasn't colicky and overly fussy. I don't know if this is related to feeding or something else. I just know that sleep is as important as food and I want her to have both.

Thank again all.

I think it's fine not to follow the LC's advice exactly. You know your baby best, and if she has a feeding where she comes off the breast seeming satisfied, I think you should feel free to not supplement or at least offer a much smaller amount of supplement.

Formula often turns baby poop a grayish-green color.

IDK what to think about the sleeping except that one day doesn't make a pattern. Babies and their sleep needs change so much from day to day. I would actually be surprised if your baby was gving you predictable naps at this point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just wanted to say this sounds a bit like what I've gone through with my little one. We've had some really, really long stretches and also she doesn't nap during the day. I've tried rocking, swinging, singing, music, darkened rooms and a sling but today she napped for only 30 minutes. She does sleep over night well though. I hope our babies get some longer naps in soon. Hang in there! Also my LC said if she does look sleepy after nursing to try not moving her for 15 minutes, so I'm going to try that tomorrow, but often she's clearly fussy after a feeding. Today I got the 30 minute nap by strolling her outside. Driving used to work too. Good luck with everything!!