Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you define milk supply as being 'established'?

Default Re: How do you define milk supply as being 'established'?

Wow thanks everyone for your wonderful advice! When I attended lactation class in the hospital all they do is to paint us a picture of 'normal' feeding habits of babies -- they will latch on for 15-30 min each breast, fall blissfully asleep, and all you have to do is to feed him 2 hours later. You just need to know how to latch him correct. But they didn't tell us about fussy behaviors that are considered normal, and what to do when things deviate from 'the norm'. I have no idea that what I described is considered normal. I only thought something is wrong with me and the only way out is to EP.
    Right now I am quite apprehensive about trying to latch him exclusively. It is not just physically but also mentally draining. I hope I can get through this. I have just finished latching him (he fell asleep) and hope he really is full!
    One more question, do I still need to pump after I breastfed him? I just took 45 min to feed him. After i pump and wash up, it may be time to feed him again. Will there still be milk in my breast?

If his diapers are Ok, he is getting enough and you'll be able to quit pumping. You'll also know because your breasts will feel soft. If they feel really hard after nursing for a long time, he may be having difficulty transferring milk.

You could try pumping just one side for now, or simply nurse for a day and see how it goes. Always watch wets and poops.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

also remember if you throw your pump supplies in the fridge, you only have to wash them once a day.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I can just stuff my pump parts in the fridge? Some parts do come into contact with milk and don't u need to rinse them with water first? Yes the numerous times washing and sterilising are wearing me off. I'm very interested in what your method.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minigingerbread View Post
    Wow thanks everyone for your wonderful advice! When I attended lactation class in the hospital all they do is to paint us a picture of 'normal' feeding habits of babies -- they will latch on for 15-30 min each breast, fall blissfully asleep, and all you have to do is to feed him 2 hours later. You just need to know how to latch him correct. But they didn't tell us about fussy behaviors that are considered normal, and what to do when things deviate from 'the norm'. I have no idea that what I described is considered normal. I only thought something is wrong with me and the only way out is to EP.
    I ran into that too, and it really was reading here and at kellymom.com that saved me!

Heck, when I mentioned to my pediatrician that my son was cluster feeding at night, I was told I really "had to" space out the feedings and try to hold him to two hours so I could fill up again, etc etc... there was no mention that it was totally normal, so at first I was quite stressed and upset by it, along with all the anxiety of "maybe I'm not making enough" (not helped by the fact that he's a lean kid, though he has grown very quickly height wise, he's in the lower percentiles for weight).

Either way, hang in there. A lot of the success with this, I'm finding, takes a leap of faith on your part.

Yes. I only wash once a day. Put it in the fridge and go. It helps simplify the routine when it's crazy.

Keep working on nursing though. Even once a day washing will get on your nerves eventually. I personally now want to scream when I see bottles needing to be washed. I added up that I have washed pump parts 450 times or more, in addition to dishes. At 15 minutes a pop, that is 112 hours in the last 15 months I could have spent with my baby had he been able to nurse. I miss nursing him to sleep. Right now, DH takes him and gives him a bottle, while I lock myself in the bedroom for an hour to pump every night. So I don't get to even talk to DH. Before, I would nurse baby down, then go talk to DH then come back to bed. And every morning, I sit here for an hour to pump. We have summer swim team starting soon, which we didn't do last year because of the pumping. I'll be up at 5:00 to pump for an hour, get us out the door by 7. Ridiculous. I had no choice. But this is still fixable for you guys
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

no need to sterilize on a daily basis, either. in fact, i didn't even sterilize all my bottles straight out of the box! hot soapy water (or better, a dishwasher) and you're set. i boiled my pump parts maybe once every other month when it seemed they weren't quite as squeaky clean as i liked them.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

What is this sterilizing you speak of?

Seriously, I have not done that in at least a year, maybe longer.
    Susan

O my God I sterilise after every use! And that is at least 9 times a day!
    So do u ladies rinse the parts with water before u put in the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minigingerbread View Post
    O my God I sterilise after every use! And that is at least 9 times a day!
    So do u ladies rinse the parts with water before u put in the fridge?
    I do not. When I finish pumping I just stick the parts in a ziplock and put them in the fridge until the next pumping session. Forget all that sterilizing! That would drive anyone absolutely out of their mind!