Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you define milk supply as being 'established'?

Default Re: How do you define milk supply as being 'established'?

I see. So this is clean enough for baby?

You can safely keep a bottle of expressed milk in the fridge for up to 6 days. In the same vein, keeping pump parts in the fridge for one day is perfectly safe.

unless your baby has some kind of immune compromise, or is a super preemie, or something like that, yes - clean enough! remember milk is food, we eat food off plates and bowls we don't sterilize each time etch.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I usually rinse off my pumping parts after every use and leave it next to the bed to air dry.

I will agree - EP seems tempting since BF sometimes take up to 2 hours with a newborn (my daughter keeps falling into sleep after feeding from 1 breast... then wakes up 15 minutes after I put her down while I'm mid-pumping). When I pump, I just pop everything together, pump for 20 minutes, store the milk and rinse off the parts in about 5 minutes and I'm done.

I was wondering what is the rule against pouring freshly pumped milk into the already refridgerated milk? When I read that the pumping parts could simply be left in the fridge and used again for the next session, I thought: Is it possible to simply continue pumping into the same bottle/parts that were left in the fridge? I only pump out 1.5 ounce per breast... it takes 2 pumping sessions to get a full bottle. If I simply leave the parts (still attached to the bottles), could I pull that out and keep pumping into the same bottles?
    Proud of Baby

I pumped into the same bottles on top of milk for some months. It was fine.

ETA: and I pump into clean bottles at night, put that milk into a feeding bottle for overnight, stick the bottles and horns into a cooler next to my bed and then use them the next morning. No rinsing even. They have been fine, but I am no longer storing milk. When I was storing milk, I was a little more careful, kwim. I kept them in the fridge then.

During the day, when I was pumping 6-8 times a day, I would often keep the horns out and on the pump, milk and all, so if I had a free minute, I could sit and pump, like before doing the barn and swim team run every night.

EPing is a logistical nightmare. I ran a hospital. I ran three states' animal health programs. But EPing sometimes beat me, and the thinking about milk all the time slowly drove me crazy. Don't do EPing if your baby is healthy enough to nurse. Really. Short term gain, long term loss.

ETA: EPing is much harder than BFing,even with nursing taking a couple hours. There were so many times I would need to pump but baby would start crying. Or would get hungry before I was done pumping. Or drank more than I pumped. Yikes.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Red face Re: How do you define milk supply as being 'established'?

Just like to update u ladies, I'm bf exclusively now. I'm so proud of myself!

That's wonderful! Good job, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

woo-hoo!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minigingerbread View Post
    Just like to update u ladies, I'm bf exclusively now. I'm so proud of myself!
    Yay!

YAY!

It makes me so happy when a mom who had decided to EP, thought she had to EP because BFing wasn't working out or someone told her she had to EP makes the leap to EBF. Something to be proud of, mama.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!