Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old fussing and unlatching

Default 4 month old fussing and unlatching

Hi everyone My daughter has been fussy while eating for the last few months but lately it's been worse. She nurses usually for about 2-3 minutes, then pulls herself off and starts getting a little fussy. She roots again and latches for a few seconds and pulls away crying, turning her head away from me, arching her back and kicking & squirming. If I switch sides, she'll eat for a little bit longer and then she'll do the same thing. I keep switching sides for probably 3-5 more minutes till she won't latch on anymore. Whenever she pulls off she usually roots or turns her head from side to side. I used to think she just needed to burp but when I put her over my shoulder she cries even harder. Usually when she does burp it sounds like she spits up in her mouth too. If I give her a binky right after, it sounds like she spits up in her mouth and swallows it again. She does this whole thing 80% of the time, but only does it a few times at night but when she does she cries pretty hard and it's harder to settle her down. She turned 4 months yesterday and had a checkup, she is only 11 lbs. 11ozs which is 10% for weight for her age. At her 2 month checkup she was 10 lbs 6 ozs, 40% for her age. The nurse-practitioner recommended we either pump & feed after feedings or supplement, she said it's probably a low supply issue. I'm not sure it's the case though. After she feeds I still pump 1/2-1 ounce and when she unlatches I can squeeze my breast and milk squirts out. 6-8 wet diapers a day & big dirty diaper every 3-6 days. What do you think...supply issue, reflux, letdown...something else?
    Last edited by @llli*kelciandbrooklyn; April 28th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Default Re: 4 month old fussing and unlatching

Hmmm, my first instinct is to think reflux. There's nothing in your post that seems to indicate low supply- baby has enough wet/poopy diapers, you seem to have plenty of milk, and while your baby is on the small side there's nothing wrong with that since there are just as many healthy babies in the 10th percentile as there are in the 90th (statistically speaking).

I wouldn't take the "low supply" diagnosis from a nurse or a doctor, since their breastfeeding knowledge tends to be minimal. I'd want to see an IBCLC.

How often does baby nurse in a 24 hour period?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just gave her an ounce of EBM after a feeding and she gulped it down without fussing, so maybe it's not reflux? I saw an IBCLC when my daughter was about 2-3 weeks old because she was constantly nursing (I wasn't aware that this is totally normal) but she thought my baby was just a snacker. Now she nurses at least 8 times, maybe 10 in 24 hrs. We cosleep so I'm usually half-asleep whenever she wakes up at night to nurse so I don't count. But she's usually up every 1-2 hours at night to nurse, I'm not sure if she's hungry or just needing comfort to fall back asleep. And she's always happy and alert when she's awake, except for nursing!

Could it be oald? Mommal do you think that is possible without the typical big weight gain? That would explain having an issue at the breast and not having an issue with the bottle. Here is info on oald: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

BTW remember to not assume baby needed the bottle of milk and that is why it was gulped. Milk constantly flows out of bottles, unless careful steps are taken to pace baby, baby cannot help but gulp a whole bottle.

IMO No one should ever diagnose low supply based only on weight gain over a two month period. It’s not enough information. Many things could have happened in that time that caused a blip in the weight, from different scales being used (or the same scale being recalibrated) to an illness in baby or in mom that caused temporary weight loss or slowing of gain sometime in that period, etc. Also how do they know it’s not a milk transfer issue rather than low supply? If you are concerned, maybe instead of bottle feeding you could go for another weight check in a week or 10 days -on the same scale-so as to see what is happening now? Also, while the nursing frequency sounds entirely normal, you could try offering to nurse just a bit more often-even one more session per day could mean baby getting 1-3 more ounces per day.

Also, there is a possible phenomenon of babies 'nursing weird' around 4 months. It takes many forms. In the latest the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, this is called the "four month fussies." No cure that I know of, it appears to just be a stage.

It has gotten worse the last few weeks but she's been doing it more and more starting at 5 or 6 weeks, KellyMom said that's when OALD usually starts so maybe that's it! We pace with BreastFlow bottles, we've only used bottles a handful of times and before we started the BreastFlow bottles we went through crazy nipple confusion so now we are super careful. This was when she was probably 9 weeks, could she remember that and still prefer bottles? Last night was my first night back to work so DH is giving her EBM.

I don't think the issue is bottle feeding if its only been occasional. I was just worried because you were told you have low supply, then baby 'guzzled" a bottle, (I did not realize that was for a feeding you were not home for) and lots of moms take bottle guzzling after nursing as confirmation baby is not getting enough at the breast, which it is not.

Although at 4-6 weeks is a time lots of moms experience oald, I think oald can strike anytime, really. It can come and go as well.

FYI here is more info on "paced bottle feeding" techniques to help with nipple confusion, flow confusion, etc. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Could it be oald? Mommal do you think that is possible without the typical big weight gain? That would explain having an issue at the breast and not having an issue with the bottle.
    I agree, that is a possibility. But the back arching, the fact that weight gain is on the lower end of normal, the OP's description of the baby seeming to spit-up and then swallow the spit-up again... That all seems more reflux-y to me, and has me wondering if maybe baby is avoiding feeding because reflux makes it too painful. I'd at least want to talk to the doc about that possibility, in addition to thinking about the OS/OALD angle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"