Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just Plain Confused on Breast Pumps

Default Just Plain Confused on Breast Pumps

Hello Ladies,

I will be having my bundle of joy in August. I had my last daughter 21 years ago, so A LOT has changed. I also was lucky to have a women within La Leche around me for guidence.

Now there are way too many breast pumps out there. I've done research and because I will have to return to work, it looks like I should get a double pump but now is the thing of what type of pump?

These pumps are not cheap and I want something that will last and works great.

Do you ladies have any suggestions?

Default Re: Just Plain Confused on Breast Pumps

You want a double electric pump, what is normally called "professional" grade. I used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced (PISA) with my last LO (my previous Medela wore out with the first two) and was happy with it. I know others have used the Medela Freestyle and the Ameda Purely Yours with success. You don't want to go cheap. You may have to play around with shield sizes once you get your pump. Check with your insurance company; lactation supplies should be covered.

I am sure others will jump in with advice.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I like the Ameda PY because there is a membrane preventing milk from backing up into the tubing/motor. And because it has independent controls for the suction and speed. But I have had to return it twice within a year - never BROKE broke but it seemed not to be working as well anymore - both times customer service was great and immediately shipped a new one, then I sent the old one back in the same box.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Ladies thank you so much. I never thought about checking my insurance so I am going to keep my fingers crossed on that.

I know that this will be an investment that is why I'd rather have the recommendations from moms that are using them rather than reading reviews.

Many moms like the Medela line. I used a Freestyle for a long time, which I liked becAuse I could fit everything in my purse. But Medela is not WHO-compliant, which bugs me, and their pumps are single user, which bugs me more. I used a hospital grade Medela for a long time and found it very omfortable.

Ameda and Lansinoh are other brands I have used, but they are not WHO-compliant either, but at least their pumps could be safely passed on (although this is not FDA approved) because they are closed systems. I could get more with an Ameda (old style Lansinoh) than from the Symphony.

I wish I had gotten a Hygeia. Everyone I know with one loves it, well as much as you can love a pump, and they are WHO compliant and also will recycle your pump....if you don't give it to another mom when you are done, as it is approved for serveral users.

I use a Limerick, and while expensive, it is hospital grade that fits in my purse. The action is very comfortable nd effective for me, and customer service is amazing. I have been very happy with it.

Simplisse is similar in action to a Limerick, but the company is not WHO compliant.

I would stay away from First Years, Playtex, etc, as they don't work as well for most moms and ate hit or miss on longevity. I k is a mom who successfully nursed her first baby, had to go back to work, bought a Playtex and could not keep her supply with her second baby.

If your insurance won't pay now for a pump, hang on. Come August, they must cover lactation services and supplies, which may include a pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Listen to Susan--she knows far more than most of us about pumps.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Ilooked on bcbs of tn website and it looks like they only pay for pumps/supplies for premies. Had anyone had any experience with bcbs paying for pumps/supplies for full term babies?
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Ameda Purely yours is what I used. It was a closed system and worked very well and was about half the price of a Medela PIS. All the pieces are completely replaceable. I really liked my pump.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elizabethlarae View Post
    Ilooked on bcbs of tn website and it looks like they only pay for pumps/supplies for premies. Had anyone had any experience with bcbs paying for pumps/supplies for full term babies?
    This may be old and outdated, but from what I understand, in August of this year, because of the health care act, all insurance companies must cover lactation services and supplies for all babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!