Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too few feedings?......Too much sleep?

Default Too few feedings?......Too much sleep?

I thought everything was going well until other moms questioned what we were doing. My LO is 3.5 months old and is EBF. Bedtime is around 8 pm and she doesn't wake up AT ALL until i wake her up in the morning to feed her around 5:30. Then she usually nurses 5-6 times and takes about two 1 hr naps throughout the day. She's gaining well, has many pees, nurses well, and seems happy. We didn't train her or try to make this happen - it just did. But now that i'm reading other posts i wonder if i let her sleep too long at night or if i should be feeding her more frequently. Wouldn't she wake up at night if she was hungry or get fussy during the day if she needed to eat?

Default Re: Too few feedings?......Too much sleep?

as long as her weight gain is good and her wet diapers are frequent enough (at least 6 per 24 hours), then just enjoy it, and know that it will also probably change in the next couple of months

also do you get engorged when she goes that long? do you pump in the middle of the night?

it doesn't sound like she's sleeping more than other babies that age, just way more at night and less in naps.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

expect sleeping patterns to change over time. Sometimes they sleep beter then other times. IT sounds like your doing the right things. Counting pees and shes gaining well. Your doing fine ,enjoy your sleep.

Agree with pps as long as she's gaining well and has enough wet and poopy diapers don't worry about it. My almost 3 month old has been skipping the 1am ish feeding this week it's been great!! Shes also cut way back on the number of feedings things always change with babies. Once you think you've got things figured out they change.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Gaining well and peeing and poping well? Then don't worry.

6-7 feedings per day is on the low end for frequency. That wouldn't be enough for most moms and most babies, but there are a rare few who make it work. Sounds like you and your baby are among them- for now. Don't be shocked if she suddenly decides to nurse more often.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Gaining well and peeing and poping well? Then don't worry.

6-7 feedings per day is on the low end for frequency. That wouldn't be enough for most moms and most babies, but there are a rare few who make it work. Sounds like you and your baby are among them- for now. Don't be shocked if she suddenly decides to nurse more often.
    and don't be surprised if the good sleeping changes, usually around 4-6 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!