Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Easily Distractible 21 week old

Default Easily Distractible 21 week old

Hello there. I have a 21 week old daughter who is exclusively breastfed. Ever since she was about 3.5 months old, she has been extremely distractible during nursing. The only place she will get a good feeding is before or after her naps, laying down on our bed, curtains closed and with absolute quiet/white noise. It is rare that I can get her to nurse anywhere else. This isn't a problem, though. A little inconvenient, but not extremely so. However, I am wondering, could this arrangement lead to early weaning? I would like to breastfeed as long as possible. Her growth is awesome, but I am just looking towards the future when she will be going longer between naps. I don't want my milk supply to drop. I can sometimes get her to eat between naps but we must be lying down, in a quiet room, etc. Is this a phase that babies outgrow or is it permanent?

I own a hand pump but I typically don't pump since she's never really taken a bottle. We've never put an effort towards introducing one, however, since I stay at home and there's no need. Would you suggest pumping anyway?

Default Re: Easily Distractible 21 week old

Do you cosleep? I found that baby started nursing more at night when the daytimes got more distractable to make up for lost time, so to speak.

Babies change so much in their first year. The distractible baby who won't nurse anywhere but in a dark room may turn into the toddler who rips your shirt open in the middle of the grocery store. So I don't think you should expect that your baby will always be like this, nor do I think you need to stress and get out the pump. Just be cautious as your baby transitions to solids- if she continues to be uninterested in nursing, you want to go slow and make sure she doesn't start skipping opportunities to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had 2 very distractable babies around 4 months. I learned not to nurse while watching tv, and I even had to not talk while nursing because they would stop eating! Dark room is also helpful, and keeping noises (like a toddler) out of the front helped. My girls grew out of the phase, maybe after 2 months or so. Good part is some babies (like mine) became more efficient feeders so the 'quiet' sessions were faster than when they were younger.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thanks for your responses. I will try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, right? I haven't co-slept since she was 1 month old. We don't have that option anymore.