Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 18 days old & discouraging weight gain

Default 18 days old & discouraging weight gain

First time mom here and I'm a little confused and discouraged.

My daughter was born 18 days ago weighing 7 pounds 4 ounces. She came home weighing just 6.7 pounds. I've been feeding her a lot, some days for over 2 hours at a go. We've had, in general, at 4 mustard poos a day (yesterday we had 6), though some changings the diaper is green. At today's weigh-in she was only 7.8 -- the doc said ok but not good enough and wanted me to supplement w/ pump and bottle.

I'm not opposed to that but I still feel like I'm failing my girl. I thought she was a marathon or frequency feeder as she wanted to be on the breast for hours yesterday. Now I'm scared I'm just starving her. Latching is still a struggle -- sometimes it's perfect, other times it hurts, sometimes it's pain free but her lips aren't curled out (does that mean a shallow latch?). I can't say that I always hear her swallow during feedings.

Complicating matters, I am only feeding on one side due to radiation damage on the other side. Is it unfair to try to do this with one breast?

Default Re: 18 days old & discouraging weight gain

I thought that the goal was to get back to birth weight by 2 weeks? It sounds like you've done more than that.

How are her wet and dirty diapers mama?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Welcome to the forum, mama, and congratulations on the new baby!

I am sorry you got such a discouraging evaluation from the doctor. I am not sure why weighing in at 7 lbs, 8 oz is inadequate: most guidelines are for a baby to regain birthweight by 2 weeks. Your baby is just 2 weeks, 4 days, and she has already exceeded her birthweight. Her poop frequency and color sounds totally normal, and so does her feeding pattern (hey, she's a newborn!).

The only thing that concerns me a bit is the extremely long feedings, the pain you feel from time to time, and the fact that sometimes you're not hearing your baby swallow. Now, this all could be completely normal: long feedings are par for the course with newborns, occasional pain is pretty common and not necessarily a problem so long as mom can endure it and mom isn't getting nipple damage, and not swallowing is normal in the long periods of comfort-sucking that most newborns relish. As long as you are hearing some phases of intense suck-swallow-breathe, suck-swallow-breathe (indicating letdown), what you're seeing is normal. However, since those 3 things can indicate problems with milk transfer, I think it might be a good idea for you to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, and see if maybe there's something that can be improved. But I really doubt that you have a problem- again, weight gain and diaper output seem normal to me and I don't understand why your doc took issue with you!

Feeding on just one breast is not a problem. Think of moms of twins: they breastfeed successfully with just one breast per baby. So don't feel like you are being unfair to your baby!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much mamas! It's a huge relief to know she's regained her birth weight and then some. I'm not normally insecure, or don't think I am, but since birth I'm easily rattled by docs and nurses. I know I need to trust my baby and that her diapers, wet and soiled, are telling me she's ok but it's been hard.

I'll call my hospital's breast feeding clinic about the long feedings tomorrow. I can't imagine what her growth spurt feedings will be like if we don't figure this out now.

Thanks again.

Yup, it sounds like you're doing great! You might want to print off the WHO growth charts which apply to breast fed babies. http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html Bring it with you when you go to the doctors next time and have them mark the chart. Keep it for your records (maybe bring 2 so that they have one as well). Most doctors have CDC charts which are based on formula fed babies. It can be really reassuring to have on hand.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

You also may not notice a growth spurt. I didn't experience them with my first because he nursed on demand every hour for like 3 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!