Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: please help(irritation from nipple shield)

Unhappy please help(irritation from nipple shield)

Hi. My name is Juyeon and I have 5 week old son. I have been using a nipple shield since my son was born. Recently, I talked to a lactation consultant. And she told me I might have a benefit to use a nipple shield becuase my milk is more than enough. My son chokes sometimes due to too much milk coming out and a nipple shield might help to slow the milk. Anyway, today I have so much pain right next to the nipple region because of the irritation I got from using a nipple shield. And for some reason, he is frustrated to larch on even with a shield. I Don't Know WHY.
    Now I am thinking using it was not a good idea in a first place because my son doesn't like to switch to bare nipples. (I should try harder, though) I want to start to breastfeed my son without using a nipple shield. I tried but he just seemed so confused and frustrated to latch on bare nipples. then I end up switching back to the shield because I worry if he doesn't get enough milk from frustration. Should I keep trying?

Oh, and How do I prevent the areola from irritation using a nipple shield if I need to use it for a while.

What can I do to reduce the pain from irritation?

Please give me any advise. I would appreciate it. Thank you.
    Last edited by @llli*jyjeans728; April 26th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Default Re: please help(irritation from nipple shield)

Welcome to the forum, mama!

This link covers how to wean from a shield: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/. Definitely keep trying- it can take weeks or even months to wean from a shield, and you shouldn't expect baby to take the bare breast without repeated efforts. If you are concerned that your baby isn't getting enough milk due to fussiness when nursing on the bare breast, you can always just tough it out for a few days and watch your baby's diaper output carefully. If baby is producing enough wet diapers, you know he's getting enough to eat. (Poopy diapers often slow down to 1 a week after the 6 week mark, so they are not as good an indicator of milk transfer when you have an older baby. But if baby has one or more poops per day, or several per week, or just one massive poop per week, that's a good indicator of adequate milk intake.)

Moms with overabundant milk supplies often see their babies struggle with fast milk flow. Adopting reclined nursing positions is the first thing a mom should try if her baby seems to be having trouble, since gravity will slow the flow of milk and allow the baby to nurse more comfortably. If that doesn't work, there are other things you can try- but start with reclined positions and see if that helps!

Fussiness in a 5 week-old baby is very normal. It's not always about milk supply or even anything you are doing or not doing. It can just be your baby being a baby.

ETA: I am not sure what you could do about irritation from the shield except try a different size of shield or maybe lubricate the irritated area with some lanolin... Can you describe the irritation a bit more? Do you see dry or flaking skin, cracks, blisters?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: please help(irritation from nipple shield)

Sorry for late reply. I was figurung out to log in
    About the irritation, I am using large size nipple shield and still rubbing between the shield and skin (areola). I don't know how it looks like. It's not cracks or anything. I can tell more like blister looking... I use lanolin and the pain subsides for a while.
    I breastfeed my son with cross cradle and reclining position. But I don't think breatfeeding with are nipples work with any of those. I did cradle hold. My son's head was lower than my breat and it did worked! I think it's because I was squizing my breast and it was kind of helping him to latch on easily... Anyway, other than that, he wasn't happy and complained. How am i supposed to sqiuz my breast so that he can latch on comfortably?