Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another needing help with not so sleepy 3 month old

Default another needing help with not so sleepy 3 month old

hi-

my 3 month old is EBF and is gaining really well... about 1lb a week.

but his sleep patterns are terrible. naps during the day are difficult. he only naps if i am wearing him. and at 18lbs can be tiring trying to keep moving so he can get adequate naps in. some days he doesn't nap for more than a few minutes here and there. we co sleep. either he is in our bed or in his co sleeper. our longest stretch of sleep is the first one and it's usually 2.5 hrs max 3. then the rest of the night he's waking up about every hour to hour and a half to nurse. he also nurses frequently during the day every 2 hours or less sometime every hour.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: another needing help with not so sleepy 3 month old

mama, - sit down for this one - his sleep patterns are normal. they are not terrible, they are normal.

really. this is what 3 month olds do. it will change before you know it.

his eating npatterns during the day also are totally normal. it just means you're doing a great job feeding him on demand.

do you have a really supportive carrier? a really supportive one will allow you to be active even with an 18 (or 25) lb baby on. almosmt every mom i know in real life wiht a 3 month old has "confessed" to me that their baby only takes naps on them - and most of them are then stuck to the couch for the nap!

are you sleeping well through the co-sleeping? maybe we can give you some advice about that, like supportive pillows so your body can really relax and rest while you nurse at night.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with the PP. If a better carrier- I'm thinking an Ergo or one of the new Bjorns with the back support- doesn't do the trick for naps, maybe a stroller or swing would? My girls napped in their swing until they were near a year. Should have bought stock in the D battery company, but whatever.

At night, does swaddling help? FTR, my girls both never slept longer than 2-3 hours until they were around a year. Ugh. But I survived, and someday you'll look back and laugh...

thanks ladies... my sister just sent me her ergo it's a lot better, i used it for the first time today! he slept for over 2 hrs while i was moving around and it was fine so that's exciting. i go to a new mom's group at my midwives and all the other babies are sleeping at least 3 hrs here and there some even longer. they look refreshed. i look and feel like a zombie. we've tried swaddling and that doesn't work. and he's only really started sleeping on his back a couple of weeks ago. before that he would only sleep when one of us had him on our chests. advice on co-sleeping would be great. i'm happy he's healthy and gaining well and we've had no trouble nursing at all. i just feel like if i was less tired i could be doing a better job.

that's awesome news about the ergo! good to hear.

maybe you can tell us more about your co-sleeping set up so we can give advice about that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

let's see... we have a co-sleeper attached to our bed. he only sleeps in there occasionally. if he sleeps on me I've got a giant pile of pillows and this is quite comfortable and we both sleep the best this way but I have to shift to nurse him. we just started nursing lying down (I had a emergency cesearean and it took a while to not have pain on my side) this helps me rest but he tends to wake more when he's on his back. he'll either sleep next to me or I'll shift him to his co-sleeper. his most active wake time seems to be around 4:30 and my husband usually takes him so I can get closer to two hours. I usually diaper him, nurse and then pass him off. when he eventually goes back down he'll sleep on my husband. luckily he's almost alwys happy when he wakes.

thanks for the help. I've been overwhelmed with inlaws and their opinions this week. I think when people ask me how he's sleeping I'm going to fib a little so I don't have to go into details. it's left me feeling really sensitive about the whole thing.

It's so frustrating when other people ask "How is your baby sleeping?" I'm always vague about it! Sometimes I think they are asking because they're secretly worried about their own kid's sleeping situation and want to see how others are faring...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

ITA with PP about the comparisons.

let's see, for us the way i slept while co-sleeping was two main things, i thikn. first is the nursing lying down - that's super important and i'm glad you're getting the hang of it, because it means you can just latch baby on and go back to sleep. along wtih that, make sure you've got really good pillows or whatever you need so that you can actually relax your body while you're on your side. i found that i could shift my legs different ways to get the right balance at the right angle (whcih changed as he grew), and i got better at it, so now i CAN sleep without a pillow at my back, but i relax more when i have it, even now.

second, which i hardly ever see anyone talk about, we are in bed a LONG time. i am a working mama, so i HAVE to be rested in the morning. we go to bed around 8:30 and get up around 7:30, most days. i am often awake, watching tv or on here for anohter hour or so after DS goes to sleep nursing, but i still usually get 9-10 hours of sleep. and that's relatively new, as he's started sleeping more at night. i used to really mostly sleep wiht him in bed for 12. before kids i liked 8.5 hours. this is really key to me because even on the nights when DS is up a lot, i am still getting 6+ hours of sleep, so i'm reasonably functional, plus it's on a base of being rested rather than deprived. (i think americans are all walking around sleep deprived so i'm a big fan of making our lives so we are rested ...)

your baby will also very soon become much morem competent at latching, and you won't have to help him nearly as much. that should help - it'll be morme like putting the boob near his face and you're done.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Don't let opinions phase you. When DD2 was a newborn, so many old ladies came up to me and asked "Is she a good baby?", meaning "Does she sleep through the night?" I always wanted to yell "Hey, are you smoking crack? She's 3 weeks old, she should not be sleeping through the night!" but instead I started smiling really wide and saying "ALL babies are good" and then walking away.

I've been asked if I had a "good" baby too when mine was tiny. I was stunned the first time someone asked me that. I'm pretty offended by the idea of a little baby being considered "bad" for any reason.

When people would ask how my baby slept, I would just say "fine". It's really no one's business, and I had no interest on getting antiquated tips on getting a baby to sleep.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).