Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 Week Old--fighting at every feeding

Default 2 Week Old--fighting at every feeding

My daughter is two weeks old and spend days 4-9 in the ICU following an emergency surgery on her intestines. We had not quite gotten the hang of latching yet, and then I was not allowed to feed her for 4 days of recovery. I pumped and when she was fed, she was bottle fed breastmilk so they could more closely monitor what amounts were going in her system. We've been home for about 6 days now. I thought we had finally gotten over the hump of the feeding battle on Saturday, but now she's fighting every feeding again. It is so stressful for both of us. She does know how to latch on, but refuses to do so. I'm about ready to give in, but really don't want to. We bond so much better when we give up and go for the bottle. I cannot keep pumping all the time. I have a four year old and the time it takes me to feed is long enough, yet alone the amount of time it takes if I add pumping on afterwards.
    I went through similar frustrations with my older one, but since it was just the two of us, it was easier to deal with. This one will take a mouthful, pull away to swallow and then start screaming. We do this over and over again. Sometimes, she gives in and latches correctly, but those times are getting fewer and fewer. After 15 minutes, I am just so sad, I cannot do it anymore. I don't want to give up, but I just don't know how many more sleepless, fighting nights I can do.

Default Re: 2 Week Old--fighting at every feeding

do you think you might have a really strong letdown? can yo try to hand express a little when she pulls away to swallow? to get the rush out so that it slows a bit for her maybe?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I have a couple of suggestions, which you may have tried already. Even if you have, you can keep trying, what did not work yesterday may work today. But when things are this close to unravelling I always think it's a good idea to see a IBCLC if that is at all possible. Sometimes the issue is not that baby won't latch but that baby cannot latch (at least not consistently.) A profressional should be able to help in that case. So please look into if that is at all possible for you.

This may be resolved fairly quickly. Can you get help with your older child for a few days?

1) Nurse at the earliest cues, or do not even wait for a cue. Babies can and do nurse in thier sleep, when sleepy, when drowsy, etc. Offer when baby is as calm as possible. This can really help when baby is fighting the breast.
    2)You could also try instant reward techniques, letting a little expressed milk dribble on your breast, or hand express some milk just prior to bringing baby to the breast.
    3)If baby IS frantic, give baby small amount of milk in the bottle (or syringe or cup) and then, once the edge is off, let baby finish the feeding at the breast.
    4) Try different positions. Laid back positions can really help with breast fighting, as gravity works for you and baby feels more secure and mom more comfortable. You can be reclined as much or as little as you like, and baby can be on you in any position you prefer.
    5) and I agree with pp the behavior is consistent with forceful letdown, (oald) it may be somethign else but that is a possibility. Again a reclined nursing position and frequent nursing helps with oald.

back to breast article: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Laid back: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com (the video on the biological Nurturing website shows clearly how baby cues in sleep)

Thanks for the responses. I thought it was OALD too, but now that my supply has evened out, I don't think that is the issue. We will have a good day of nursing and then the next day we fight for every feeding. I don't get it. She cries as she feeds. It is heartbreaking for me to make her be so miserable just to nurse. It almost seems as if it is too much work for her. We still struggle for a good latch and it seems to be getting worse because now I am sore when she tries. I have been playing phone tag with the LC from the hospital where I delivered and have been reading these message boards like crazy, looking for answers. I am defaulting to the bottle more and more as she is so unhappy after 20 minutes of nursing.
    I am leaning toward having her tongue and upper lip checked out by her pediatrician. My first daughter was tongue tied and we had latch issues too. Once we got her clipped, things were so much easier. This baby doesn't have an obvious tongue tie, but when she cries, her frenum turns white and I have noticed her tongue get a bit heart shaped. I mentioned it to the LC at the Children's Hospital, but she didn't agree with me. I also checked her frenum on her upper lip, and it goes all the way down to her bottom of the gums. I hope my doctor can help me out with this, but that will have to wait until Monday now.
    I wish this wasn't so hard. I desperately want to breastfeed and I especially feel like she needs it after the surgery and everything, but I am so tired of battling it out. I feel like we are both unhappy during the whole process.
    Last edited by @llli*girlsrule; May 12th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.