Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reglan VS Fenugreek

Default Reglan VS Fenugreek

I asked the Lactation Nurse about a prescription to increase lactation and she recommended Reglan, it is the only perscription drug they give at this hospital for Lactation. She mentioned the side effects and told me to do my research before asking the doctor to perscribe it. I have looked at many articles online and reviews from other moms. I was just wondering.

Reglan VS Fenugreek? What are your experiences with these medications/herbs.

I am looking for something that can help my supply in a major way. My daughter does not nurse anymore so I am a slave to my pump. I pump every 2 hours through out the day and so far I have not seen a difference. I am producing 1 ounce every 2 hours and less the longer I go without pumping.

Default Re: Reglan VS Fenugreek

How old is your baby? If you want to try, we can help get her back to the breast Nursing is the #1 best way to increase supply.

If you are exclusively pumping, you definitely need to pump every two hours, and at least once at night, preferably every 2-3. What kind of pump do you have? If you don't have a hospital grade pump, consider renting one, especially if you are exclusively pumping.

I took Reglan and did experience the depression. But if you would like to try it, go for it! I take domperidone and it has worked very well for me, but I can't seem to maintain my supply now without taking it, so there are risks with that as well.

Fenugreek works for lots of people, I'm not sure if it really worked for me. But it's pretty harmless. You can take Reglan and fenugreek. I'm pretty sure I had like 5 galactogogues going at once at some point

But all the supplements I consider extra stuff- the thing that makes a MAJOR difference is milk removal. Even if you can only pump for a few minutes, taking any amount of milk out tells your body to make more. It took me SO LONG to figure that out!

You can do it mama! We are here to help!!!

And welcome!

My baby is 5 months old, she stopped nursing about two weeks ago. She should latch and suckle, then release and cry and push away. The would comfort her for a minute and try again but she still cried. Hurt my feelings so I stopped nursing her. I miss nursing so much, I wish I could get that back.

I pump every two hours and once at night, I use a Medela Dual Pump. I took Fenugreek and I didn't see much of a difference. But I don't think I was taking it right or consistantly. I'm trying REALLY hard this week to get be diciplined enough to get my supply up. By pumping often and remembering to take my Fenugreek. I am going to work hard for the next two weeks to get the supply back up, but if I can't then I think I am done with it. I work and it's hard to make time for all these pump sessions. I am not so sure about taking Reglan I've seen a lot of negative reviews about it and I am not prepared to make that kind of decision. The hospital here only percribes Reglan, I am on a Naval Base so they are weird about medications.

Can my eating habits be hurting my supply? I know for sure with her not nursing it is making this a lot harder. I am finding it hard to understand "supply in demand" and how it works. I understand that I need to remove mmilk to make room for more. But if I remove an ounce in 2 hours. Then doesn't that tell my body to make JUST one ounce instead of more? It just confuses me.

What is meant by supply=demand, is this: when you remove more milk, either with a pump or by baby nursing, (or both) your body gets the message that baby is hungry. The more often you remove milk, the hungrier you body thinks the baby is, and therefore the more it makes. It works best to remove milk often, since the longer milk sits around in the breasts, without being removed, the less hungry your body thinks your baby is. So at first, when you pump rarely, it may seem like you're getting a lot more milk, say, for instance, that you get 5 ounces after waiting 5 hours. Well in reality, if you had pumped once in the middle of that stretch of time, perhaps you would have 2 pumping sessions with 3 oz each. That's more total, even though it's less all at once. Especially once you factor in the breasts slowing their production over time when they sense a decreased demand.

So to answer your specific question about doesn't your body just think it should make one ounce: this is why, as I understand it, what you should do when pumping is keep pumping a little bit even after you stop seeing milk flowing. And perhaps do some hand expression, in there, too. What babies do during growth spurts is spend more time hanging out nursing, and even though at first they might be getting little or no milk at the end of a nursing session, over the course of time, the breasts will be signalled to make more.

This might be helpful: http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/

This shows how to add hand expression and other milk-production maximizing info: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Clear as mud ? Maybe a more eloquent mama will be around soon.

Check out this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ You can definitely try and get her back to the breast- lots of moms have done this successfully!

What you eat really doesn't matter much- definitely make sure you are drinking lots of water!

The supply and demand thing is explained more here: http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/ (the whole website is great if you want to poke around!)

Basically the more often your breast are empty the more often they will fill back up. So if you take out one oz, it will make another ounce faster. It adds up over time!

Also hand expressing after pumping is really helpful for building a supply.

You can do this! I had like no supply when my LO was six weeks old and after 6 months of hard work, I managed to pump everything he needs. Now I am proud to say that I have given him expressed breastmilk for 18 months Hang in there mama.

eta: rakoonz has lots of good info I was typing when she posted.

Thanks for all the help!