Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding in public

Default Re: Breastfeeding in public

Oh I forgot, another thing I used to do was if was out wiht my husband is ask him to kind of stand/sit in such a way it blocked me from passersby if I was feeling uncomfortable. And before I tossed the cover I had him kind of hold it out for me so it was not resting on babies head which my son hated. Enlisting his help gave us a "we are in this together" type feeling. I think sometimes husbands and other family get perturbed when they see us struggle but they do not know how to help.

And e-bee I understand you were not saying non-covering moms are immodest! But unfortunately moms have occasionally been harassed for nip without a cover, for example a couple years ago a restaurant employee gave a mom a blanket from somewhere (eeeww, first off) and told her to cover up. Not cool!

thanks so much for the help. i'm definitely not going to give up. some of the tips everyone has given me never even occurred to me to try. i really appreciate it!

One thing I have found that really helped me was the type of shirt I was wearing. I always wear a nursing bra and tank (though to be honest, you can pull your boob over the top of most tanks), because the tank covers my belly. What I noticed is that gauzy-flowy type shirts do are the best for covering any remaining skin, if you don't want to use a cover. But, it REALLY does get easier with practice. You can stretch your comfort level too -go to a nice park, find a bench and nurse there. I actually did some laying down nursing at my neighborhood park this week - something I would have never thought possible before. About going out...I also have nursed in my vehicle on several occasions. I just nursed there, then went inside. I took my boppy pillow with me in the beginning. As the baby gets bigger, you get stronger and more comfortable, you won't need the boppy anymore. Give yourself a break. NIP can be very intimidating and scary, even for people who aren't particularly modest!