Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old changing nursing habits

Default 3 month old changing nursing habits

Good evening ladies!

My 3 month old baby boy seems to be going through some changes in his nursing habits. He has cut down his time at the breast from 30 mintues to 15-20 minutes per feeding. He also is sleeping longer at night, with a stretch of 6-7 hours and then a 4 hour time period. Because of this, we most often only get in 7 feedings in a 24 hour period. I find myself waking him up occasionally from naps when it has been greater than 3.5 hours, and I have a feeling I'm not supposed to be doing that at this point. I want to be sure to maintain good supply because I'm going back to work in about 4 weeks. He's just not a very demanding baby at all. He seems happy to go with the flow, and I want to be sure his needs are being met and that I'll be able to continue to breastfeed exclusivley.

I'm pumping one time after he goes to bed and after his first morning feed in order to build a freezer stash. I'm able to freeze between 6 and 8 ounces per day that way. (I had a huge stash of 700 ounces, and the found out I have a lipase issue. My baby won't take it. Needless to say, the Mothers Milk Bank of Ohio got a large donation!)

I suspect most of this is normal. He is having 8 wet diapers and at least 1 poopy diaper per day. He is around 13 lbs, and his birth weight was 5 lbs 12 ounces. He was a 35 week preemie, so we didn't get of to the most natural start breastfeeding, but we are exclusively at breast now.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: 3 month old changing nursing habits

I'm sure others can weigh in with more detailed advice, but I think that if you are offering frequently (even when he's not demanding) and he's gaining weight and has a lot of wet & poopy diapers, then everything is fine! Re: his sleeping - just feel lucky, and enjoy it before it changes at 5 months
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.