Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Laying Down - Spit up

Default Nursing Laying Down - Spit up

We learned our lessons from DD1 and DD2. We have coslept with DD3 from day 1. It took us a few weeks to figure out nursing while laying down. She'll be 10 weeks tomorrow and we're still only doing maybe 2 feedings a night while laying down.

My problem is that she gets some MAJOR spit up when we nurse laying down. Sometimes even an hour later. Any reason why she'd get more gas when nursing laying down? It's compounded by not burping afterwords - but that's kind of the point of nursing laying down, so we don't have to get up and can just drift off to sleep.

I didn't nurse while laying down with DD1 and DD2 until 3 - 4 months. I don't remember this happening with them.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Nursing Laying Down - Spit up

My DD spits up every now and again when we nurse laying down. While still laying down on my side I'd kinda drape her over me to burp her then lay her back down. So I wasnt moving her a whole lot and she'd go right back to sleep, if she ever woke up. I don't do it much anymore since the issue has lessoned as she's grown. She's about 4 weeks older than your DD.
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

My DD (7 weeks) does this too, major spit ups, I mean. Its not fun. But she also does it while in any position.

The only solution I've found is to nurse with a receiving blanket under her head, and a matress protector under the sheets. That way, I can change the receiving blanket when she spits up on it, and worse case scenario, it doesn't wreck my mattress. The other night, it was so bad, that I just put a big change pad on top of the spit up, changed my PJ's and hers, and did the sheets in the morning.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*e-bee View Post
    My DD spits up every now and again when we nurse laying down. While still laying down on my side I'd kinda drape her over me to burp her then lay her back down. So I wasnt moving her a whole lot and she'd go right back to sleep, if she ever woke up. I don't do it much anymore since the issue has lessoned as she's grown. She's about 4 weeks older than your DD.
    yes I did something similar with baby number 2. I had oversupply so had to have baby upright after nursing to help prevent spitups. But no way was I going to stop nursing sidelying at night!

What I did was nurse baby sidelying and when he was done, I sort of pulled him up and draped him over my side, so his head and chest were leaning on my upper side, and he sort of sat and leaned against me. We both fell back asleep this way. I never worried about burping but they would sometimes just 'come up' in this position.