Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should pump sessions last?

Default How long should pump sessions last?

as I commented in other session, my 3mo will never nurse for more than 5 min.
    I am very worried about maintaining supply when at home. When I pump, I observe that I will get about 2-4 ounces per side on the first 3 to 5 min and very little afterwards.
    If I keep the pump on for 10-15 min will the production increase over time, or is it a "waste" of time?
    Thank you

Default Re: How long should pump sessions last?

I commented on your other thread. I think things sound like they are going just fine, and your pump output sounds quite normal. See this link on increasing milk when pumping, and read the section about what is normal when it comes to pumping: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/

If you desire increased yield, pumping for 10-15 minutes will eventually get you there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just want to comment in case some new moms come here lookin for advice on pumping at work, given the thread title.

When I first started pumping at work, I didn't know how long to pump. And reading others comments really confused me. The amount of time it takes me to pump has changed over time. It used to be 30 minutes, then it was as quick as 10-15 minutes, then back to 30 minutes. Now it is 15-20 minutes.

Advice to pump until the milk stops flowing, and then for a few minutes after to stimulate supply, is the way to go. If time spent pumping is an issue, keep everything connected and in a bag soyou can quickly sit down, hook up, adn pump. Don't wash parts between pumping either.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

when pumping my milk comes out immediately, and then after another 6 - 12 mins (depending whether have been pumping regularly or not) the milk gets let down again. this is my experience - i don't know if others have the same - but i get more milk that way.

My pumping times have also been all over the place. When I first went back I could do 10 minute sessions. Now I pump for 20-30 minutes depending on how many letdowns I am after.

When I pumped for 10 minutes I never got a second letdown it was not until I made it to 20 minute sessions that I saw a second letdown.

I personally don't think that time with the pump is ever wasted time, even if you are getting no milk you are still stimulating and thus leading to more milk in the future.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I bought a hands-free pumping bra and just pump for my entire break time. Sometimes I only get 2-3 oz other times I have several let downs and if I don't pay attention I'm spilling over on my work pants! The more you stimulate the more you will make (eventually). I've found that if I watch the clock I get tense and end up not producing as much. 10 min is enough time if that's all I have but if I watch the clock I end up thinking... "Ah, I only have 10 min, hurry up boobs!" HAHA