Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby only nurses for 3-5 min at time. is it normal?

Default Baby only nurses for 3-5 min at time. is it normal?

My LO is 3m2w, and will never nurse for more than 3 - 5 minutes at time. (even as an infant, she never nursed more than 5-7 min). And she will nurse in free demand... which is usually every hour and a half, or two...
    On her 2m appointment doctor said she was gaining weight fine.
    But reading all the posts around here I observed the norm is 10-15 minutes. I wonder now if there is something wrong... Should I be doing something to extend the time of nursing sessions? Is something I should be aware of?
    I guess I started worrying that maybe because I have a toddler who keeps me on the go the baby may be feeling anxious and not eating properly. I don't know...

Default Re: Baby only nurses for 3-5 min at time. is it normal?

Nursing times vary widely. Some babies get all they need in just a few short minutes at the breast, even as newborns. Others feed for a more "average" 10-20 minutes, and still others need to feed for 30-60 minutes in order to get a full meal and get their sucking needs met.

As long as your baby is gaining weight appropriately and producing wet diapers, there's no need to worry about fast feedings. Watch the baby, not the clock.

I agree with PP. Times vary. Ds will sometimes nurse for a quick 5 min and sometimes for 30-40 it just depends on his need at the time.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

My dd is 11mths and most time will still nurse for 30-60mins on both breast. I always wonder when will she finish a nursing sessions in 5-10mins. Ppl says as they grow older it will be shorter nursing time but i guess that wont happen in my case

My DD is only 4 weeks old and can drain a breast like no one's business (in just a few minutes). I used to worry that she needed to nurse longer, especially to get the hindmilk, but she is plumping up nicely and seems satisfied. I've stopped worrying about it so much. Sometimes I will switch breasts several times during a feeding and that seems to help, but really I think she has it figured out. Sounds like your little one does, too. As long as wets and poopies and weight gain is good, sounds like she's just efficient!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

The scale of what is 'normal' is large.
    If baby is happy between feedings, has good diaper output, things are fine. Don't stress!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I call the quick snack babies "wham bam thank you mom" babies. And the ones who love to hang out "mmmm mmmm yummy mummy' babies. I had one of each. If you ever do think baby is not getting enough overall you can offer to nurse more often.

My 3 month old also nurses for only about 3-5 minutes. She is gaining well and seems satisfied most of the time, but not always. When I pump right afterwards, I get only drops, which suggests that she has consumed all I had. Also, she has wanted to nurse about evey 2 hours at night lately. I wonder if I am making enough. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*puddledive View Post
    My 3 month old also nurses for only about 3-5 minutes. She is gaining well and seems satisfied most of the time, but not always. When I pump right afterwards, I get only drops, which suggests that she has consumed all I had. Also, she has wanted to nurse about evey 2 hours at night lately. I wonder if I am making enough. :-(
    As long as:
    - you are nursing on demand
    - you are not supplementing with formula
    - you are not pregnant or taking hormonal contraception (particularly combination estrogen-progestin pills)
    - your baby is producing a normal amount of wet and poopy diapers
    Then everything is okay and you are making enough milk. If any of the above apply, let us know and we will help you troubleshoot your situation. Milk supply issues are almost always reversible, except when a mom is pregnant.

The following are normal in older babies:
    - fast feedings
    - increased nursing frequency
    - not sleeping through the night
    - mom's breasts rarely or never feel engorged or "full"
    - mom pumps less milk than in the early days