Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems Latching

Default Re: Problems Latching

Sounds like a plan, keep us posted!

Ergh, the academy of breastfeeding medicine's (ABM) protocol for neonatal ankyloglossia (tongue tie) is not available on their website right now, they do regular re-evaluations of their protocols. It would be nice to have something to bring to your ped, not all peds are up on the latest research in this area...

This is pretty cool, I have no idea who this guy is but he is using abm definitions for the different types of tt, plus treatment ideas, etc. plus very clear pictures, could be helpful. http://kiddsteeth.com/Does_Your_Chil...Frenum2010.pdf

Something new-
    after feeding I'm having terrible 'burning' pain in my right breast... like when skin is rubbed too hard. Its mostly after the night feed. It was painful enough that I couldnt fall back asleep. Do you think its something to do with the nerves due to poor latch? Never had it before the last few days though...
    Seeing the Dr this morning so I'll ask him about it as well.
    Cheers,
    Chloe and Jack

Yikes who needs that? keep an eye on it. Is it in the breast or on the nipple, both? Any thing else happening? Is nipple turning white/blanching?)

Well I got a prescription for domperidone and he had a look in Jack's mouth and seemed to think everything in there is ok.
    He thinks the pain in my right breast is just from the nipple/improper latching. There is no redness etc and that is the side that has the bigger blister so I'll just keep an eye on it.
    Have to start back to work this weekend and new employer said there would not be enough time for me to zip home to do a feed and possibly not even enough time for a quick 5 min on each side pump. So I might have to miss one feed per morning two days a week. So worried about how it will effect my supply. Way too early to be going back to work and I feel very sad about it. Do you think it'll effect my supply by missing a feed twice a week?

Missing 1 nursing session 2x/week certainly isn't ideal, but probably won't destroy your supply provided you nurse on demand at all other times. Is there a way to pump on the way to/from work, if pumping at work is not possible? That would give you the best chance of avoiding supply problems.

I am sorry your employer isn't being more flexible. In the US there are a lot of laws protecting working nursing moms, mandating that they be allowed time to pump. I wonder if there isn't some sort of law in NZ that applies to you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, supply would not be my biggest concern, but be careful not to get engorged. Maybe you will have time to hand express? http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Another possible alernative-have baby brought to you at work?

As far as your rights, I investigated a bit online and found this article. I have no idea if this is the most up to date info: http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=35166
    If you need more info, I suggest contacting your local LLL or Breastfeeding Coalition?
    And here is a general artcle about convincing the boss of the importance of supporting a moms ability to breastfeed: http://www.llli.org/law/lawemployment.html

Oh and fyi, if baby is getting a bottle when you are away, tips for bottlefeeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Here's another link on breastfeeding law in NZ: http://www.dol.govt.nz/news/media/2009/new-rest.asp. As far. I can tell from my quick read, it seems that your employer is legally required to give you a pumping break provided you are working at least 2-4 hours per day.

Lots of mamas here have dealt with employers who are reluctant to let them pump- if you come to the conclusion that pumping will be an issue between you and your boss, I am sure you'd find some helpful advice here on how to minimize conflict.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Its a new job so I didnt want them to not hire me! i had my interview last week and did mention pumping, but i think they took it as pumping so i'd have milk to feed him while at work.
    i am hoping that i will eventually be able to have 10 minutes to pump (i have an avent hand pump) in the middle of the 4 hours.
    i know legally i am supposed to be given time to pump and a place to do it but when i mentioned having this time they seemed a bit annoyed. i didnt say it was my legal right.. havent even done my first shift yet!
    I'm not as worried about engorgment as I am about my supply. One day I decided I couldnt take it anymore and decided to give up on breast feeding and I didn't BF for 12 hours and it was only at the end of the 12 hours that I was finally feeling hard and uncomfortable. I expressed 300ml at the end of the 12 hours.
    Last edited by @llli*islandclo; April 29th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

with only 2 4-hour shifts a week, i might be inclined not to pump, provided i could pump or nurse IMMEDIATELY before and after so its not more than 4 hours. i wouldnt think it would have such n impact on supply that it would be worth the interruption to my work. and pumping really is a pain, and can be a disruption. im coming from the perspective of someone who works for myself, kind of (i'm a writer/academic). maybe they could make a space available to you right before and right after your shift, if you don't have a very short commute or can pump in the car on the way?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I work as a health care provider in the community and will be going from one client to the next which apparently is a pretty busy schedule on the weekends, thus them not being able to let me go home for a half hour in the middle of the 4 hours to feed. I also may not have 10 minutes to pump until I get used to the work load and can possibly finish one client a few minutes early and use that time to pump.
    I won't have a space to pump in because I'll be out in the community so I'll have to do it in my car (luckly the back windows are tinted!).
    I know all about how much pumping sucks as I was doing it after every feed for 2 months in order to try to get my supply up. I'm concerned missing this one feed a day will effect my supply as I've already gone through so much to bring it back up to where he finally isn't hungry after every feed. We've only been top up free for just over a week now.
    Mommal- I am hesitant to demand feed as I'm still having trouble getting him to latch propperly so I dont have pain and blisters.. its all I can do to feed him every 2-3 hours because it hurts. He does a pretty good job sucking when my let down happens but as soon as the flow slows down hes squirming and pulling and biting etc... thats why the IBCLC recomended I go on the domperidone and switch feed.
    I'll be feeding as close to when i leave as possible and as soon as i get home. i work for four hours but by the time i travel etc it might be nearer 4 and a half hours
    Last edited by @llli*islandclo; April 29th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.