Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood and mucus in stool

Default Blood and mucus in stool

My son is almost 5 months old and his stools are very watery and mucusy, sometimes with specks of blood in them. This started about 3 weeks ago, and he was also very fussy and gassy. My ped suggested cutting dairy out of my diet because he might have a dairy allergy. So I have not been eating dairy for about a week now, and immediately I noticed a huge improvement in my son's mood. Also he had excema which almost completely cleared up after I stopped dairy. But he is still having diarrhea which is stringy and mucousy, and when the doctor tested it there is still trace amounts of blood in it. Also he has almost completely stopped gaining weight. He has gone from 25th percentile at birth down to about 3rd percentil currently, and has not gained any weight during the past week. The doctors still seem to think this may be due to food allergy and have told me to eliminate all major allergy foods from my diet. But we are also getting tests for scary things like cystic fibrosis. The baby is still an eager eater and seems satisfied after feedings, except it often times comes right back up or out the other end. He is reaching all developmental milestones. He seems happy ever since I cut the dairy out, but I'm still concerned about the lack of weight gain and the bowel movements. Is there anyone out there who knows how long it takes for a baby with dairy allergy to show complete improvement? Also do things that contain small amounts of dairy (like bread, lunch meat, pasta) have enough of the milk protein to actually get into my breastmilk? Because up until a couple days ago I was still eating processed foods that may have contained small amounts of milk protein. I would really appreciate any feedback! Thanks for your time

Default Re: Blood and mucus in stool

How scary! I don't have a full answer but I wanted to chime in with a couple of things:
    - I have heard it takes two weeks to get the dairy out of your body, so if you saw a huge improvement after just a week, then you may have found the culprit. Normally it's not the best idea to just go on an elimination diet first, but since this seems to be working, I'd say keep at it. And yes, sometimes the "hidden" dairy stuff makes a big difference so you might want to cut them out too. I would see how that goes before eliminating other things.
    - No weight gain in 1 week might be of concern. But it might not; I would probably want more data points over a longer period of time to see the trend.
    - Dropping from 25th to 3rd percentile around 5 months for a breastfed baby is usually COMPLETELY NORMAL, especially if your doc is using the CDC charts. That in itself is not a cause for concern. I'm assuming he's starting to get a bit more active now, right?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

He is more active now but his weight gain has steadily been slowing down since he was about one month old. He still hasn't doubled his birth weight yet. My doc said there is controversey over whether or not things from moms diet even gets in the breastmilk to begin with, so I guess I find it hard to believe that the small amount of dairy found in bread, pasta, etc could have any effect on my baby. I don't know anyone personally who has dealt with food allergy during breastfeeding so I can't really ask anyone else. Just hoping this whole thing blows over soon!

I think the general consensus now a days among breastfeeding experts is that food allergies from foods in moms diet in breastmilk can happen, but they are very rare. (and way overdiagnosed.) Here is info from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (beware, lots of medical-speak) http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

Read carefully the section "Elimination Diet Plan." As you can see, a total elimination diet of every possible allergy inducing food is NOT the first recommended course of action. Rather, it is suggested to start with eliminating dairy, (and yes they discuss eliminating hidden dairy) for 2 weeks, then go on to the next most likely culprit if needed. Then if this does not work, to keep a food diary. (I suppose you could do both at once.) Total elimination diets are seldom if ever necessary and very difficult to maintain, and often lead to moms giving up breastfeeding as it is just too difficult-not a good outcome from a health standpoint.