Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i wean or continue..

Question Should i wean or continue..

My Dd2 is 11mths today
    am wondering should i wean or continue to bfeed?
    My initial goal is to make it to a year.
    I do have mixed feeling on to weaning:confused

She still take 30-45mins to nurse all d time n sometimes an hour. She will suck for like 10mins then later just comfort nurse till d nx let down which sometimes takes a while to happen or she will pop off n grab whatever things is around us.

And we will be travelling in June for a month to Denmark, Sweden n Italy. How am i able to always spend 45mins to nurse her n she nurse at least 5times a day.

Also lately my regular 5-6am(last feed 12am) pumping session is getting lesser n lesser, n for d past 5days i noticed i am 2-3oz short:sctrachhead

Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Should i wean or continue..

I, too, have an 11 month old (tomorrow!), and we're still nursing. I want to finish as close to 12 months as well, but I know that it won't just happen suddenly. I'm going to continue the number of nursings we have now and then at 12 months begin to taper off.

Is baby ALWAYS that long with her feedings? How often does she nurse?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Weaning is a very personal thing. There's no one right time for it to occur. I personally would never wean at 12 months because I love toddler nursing! Here are some things I like about it:
    - Immunities. Nursing toddlers are sick less often than their weaned peers.
    - Nutrition. When your toddler is being picky and will only eat crackers or some similarly junky food choice, breastmilk fills the nutritional gaps in baby's diet. When she's sick and doesn't want to eat anything at all, breastmilk keeps her hydrated and provides her with calories. Also, as long as a baby nurses 3-5 times a day, you don't need to worry about her drinking cow's milk, because all her needs for "dairy" are being met.
    - Mothering benefits. When baby skins her knee or bumps her head or is teething or feels sick, nursing will soothe her faster than anything else. If baby can't sleep, nursing will help her get to sleep. If you're on an airplane, nursing during take-off and landing will help equalize the pressure in baby's ears and will soothe her during the long, boring hours on the plane.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    I, too, have an 11 month old (tomorrow!), and we're still nursing. I want to finish as close to 12 months as well, but I know that it won't just happen suddenly. I'm going to continue the number of nursings we have now and then at 12 months begin to taper off.

Is baby ALWAYS that long with her feedings? How often does she nurse?

Hi, both our LO have d same birth date

And yes, she will take her own sweet time so i will usually pump other breast for 2 nursing sessions ( between 11.30am-12.30pm, 3pm-4pm). then will spoon feed her whatever amount is pumped out.

After the year point you can begin to set limits. Usually that is easy enough to do by distracting. Like she wants to nurse and you leave the hotel room to get breakfast instead. She wants to nurse you take her to the park instead. Or you set time limits. Like you say OK but only for 10 minutes and then you pop her off and you guys get moving.

Way too lazy for formula

with all the others. i was thinking too if you are taking baby with you on your travels it is a lot easier to bf since you can do so anytime, anyplace. dont need to stop to fix a bottle/sippy of milk or worry about washing it afterwards.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

if i were traveling for a month i would definitely still want to be nursing. so much easier than worrying about food, unfaniliar places, anxiety, getting sick. sorry so short 1 arm is stuck under baby. i would def plan to nurse through trip, delay decision til after. also if you are out & about she can adapt to nursing, plus maybe youll want a chance to rest! get a carrier you can nurse in then you can stroll or see a museum while she eats too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I would definitely consider nursing through your travels. there are so many benefits to nursing while traveling (that the other moms have already mentioned above) and you may find that your LO will nurse for much shorter amounts of time or less often while you are traveling since everything will be so new, interesting and distracting. when I'm home, my 15 month old wants to nurse all the time, but out and about she's much more interested in everything else.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    After the year point you can begin to set limits. Usually that is easy enough to do by distracting. Like she wants to nurse and you leave the hotel room to get breakfast instead. She wants to nurse you take her to the park instead. Or you set time limits. Like you say OK but only for 10 minutes and then you pop her off and you guys get moving.
    I still nurse my 17 month on demand, but when we are out all day he often won't nurse too much because he is too busy. Also, I've successfully offered a snack and/or cup of water on a few occasions when I didn't feel like nursing.

After a year you can start cutting down on feedings and shortening some of those feedings if that's what you want to do. You have more options than just nurse on demand or wean completely. I know that there are some mamas here who continue to nurse after a year, but only for a couple feedings.

There are lots of milestones, scraped knees, bumps on the head, and those horrible molars the second year, and I have no idea how I could manage it without breastfeeding!

Word on the Molars.

Way too lazy for formula