Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is she really HUNGRY? Or just wanting comfort? (Or both)

Question Is she really HUNGRY? Or just wanting comfort? (Or both)

My DD is 5 months old today. She started sleeping thorugh the night or just getting up once to nurse when she was 3mo old. Suddenly, she's up every 2 hrs or sometimes even every 1h45m. I thought perhaps a growth spurt? But it's lasted over a week now and I'm wondering if she's just getting to where she wants to nurse herself back to sleep for comfort. Any advice? Of course my friends say, "Let her cry herself back to sleep, she'll be fine!" but that doesn't fly for me. She's my Sweet Pea!

TIA for any thoughts.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Is she really HUNGRY? Or just wanting comfort? (Or both)

It could be both. Also, she could have just started to realize when she wakes up that she's alone. I would cosleep, personally.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She isn't in bed w/me, but she's in a little cosleeper RIGHT next to me. Our heads are like a foot apart. (Although, I've been falling asleep nursing her the last couple of nights, so we're cosleeping by default then!) She can see me the minute she opens her eyes.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Teething?????
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

probably not what you want to hear, but i htink you just got lucky with the months 3-5 ... and all phases pass
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My DD did the same thing right around 5 months...we don't co-sleep so DH and I were for a week or two. After a week or so she went back to just waking once in the night and I nursed b/c it was the fastest way to get her back to sleep & she stayed asleep much longer. Around 6-7 months we dropped that one too and she was fine.

We chalked the 5 month night waking up to teething and a bunch of new milestones she was working on (rolling, sitting up, etc.). You're not alone!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Sometimes when we try to analyze our baby's reasoning for doing something, all we do is frustrate ourselves. Sometimes there just isn't a reason (as frustrating as that can be ). Responding to our baby's needs (or wants - because at this age they are one and the same) without questioning the "why's" usually make for a happier mama and baby
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet