Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best bottle to use with breastfeeding???

Default Best bottle to use with breastfeeding???

I have been EBF for 3 months now and have been thinking about leaving my baby with my mom for a couple hours to have some one on one time with my oldest daughter who has been feeling neglected. I have the 'regular' bottles, the Parents Choice from Wal-Mart, haven't had a reason to used them yet. I was just wondering if the more expensive special bottles that are supposed to simulate breastfeeding actually make a difference... Thanks for the help!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Best bottle to use with breastfeeding???

There are all sorts of bottles. We used basic (aka cheap) bottles, evenflo or gerber, I think.

The most important part (in my opinion) is the flow of the nipple. You want a slow flow nipple. Fill the nipple with water and see how fast/slow it drips. Baby needs to work for food from a bottle, just like at the breast.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

We supplement a few times daily and have found that the playtex drop-in system causes the least amount of confusion for our LO. http://www.playtexmommyville.ca/Bottles/Dropins.aspx It does cost a little extra for the liners but we found it is worth it.

You could ask 20 different mamas and get 20 different answers!

The only suggestion I have is to avoid buying a bunch of one particular kind because you heard they were the best, because your LO might just hate them. My LO hated the Medela nipples, even though they appeared to be similar to the Evenflo, which he liked.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

We seem to have an ok time with playtex drop in system as well. We use the slow flow latex nipple. DD didnt like the silicon ones.
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

Sorry I don't have bottle ideas-except, generally, start with slow flow nipples and get the smallest bottles you can. (What baby drinks 8 ounces at a time???) On the other hand, if this is a one off kind of thing, your mom may be able to make it work with whatever you have-it wil help if she lets baby set the 'pace' -see here for tips for bottlefeeding the breastfed baby you can give your mom- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Have a nice mommy-daughter time!