Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 wk old suddenly green poo

Default 8 wk old suddenly green poo

For the past 3 days, my son has been a bit fussier than normal, nursing more,
    and having bright green poos. Any ideas?
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: 8 wk old suddenly green poo

I'd guess that either you have a touch of oversupply or your baby has a tummy bug. Let it ride for a few more days. If the poops stay consistently green, it may be time to troubleshoot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! It could be either, as I have had os issues and there is a bug going around! So good advice to wait and see...

Green poo can also mean that they are getting a lot of "fore milk and not enough hind milk" Apparently they are getting too much lactose and not enough fat and presto green poo. My little guy always got the green poos when he ate really close together.

And btw, poop being green on it's own (no other issues) is not usually anything to worry about.

Hi I'm new to the LLL... I'm having issues with green poop too, so I was wondering if your LO has gotten back to normal. My DD is 12 weeks old and has had green poop for about 2.5 weeks now. She has also recently become really impatient with letdowns, pushing off the breast frequently, and sometimes crying when I try to burp her to give my boob a rest while the next letdown preps. She is a little gassy and has anywhere from 4-6 I called them "LOUD" diapers a day (we can hear her pooping over the baby monitor). She isn't extra fussy, which is good, so w/e is going on isn't really bothering her that much I guess. I just worry about sickness or hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.

Thanks for the help )

hi there! yes, my LO has gone back to normal. he had green poo for about 4 days then it went away for about a week, then it came back. i clearly have OS and OALD. he is 10 weeks and i feel like my supply adjusts and then gets abundant again. for instance, just since yesterday, my LO is sputtering more and wrestling when nursing. he is spitting up after each feeding and fussy. but so far...no green poo! he is also "loud" and gassy. it sounds to me like you may also have OS. try block feeding...maybe stay on only one side for at least 2 hours to start. (if she is hungry before the next feeding, use the same side.) i don't think i'm explaining it right...let me know if you need more clarification! i'm glad she isn't too fussy! hope it all sorts out soon...and remember, green poo in and of itself is not an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cmartin6284 View Post
    Green poo can also mean that they are getting a lot of "fore milk and not enough hind milk" Apparently they are getting too much lactose and not enough fat and presto green poo. My little guy always got the green poos when he ate really close together.
    Just to clarify that your breasts make only one kind of milk. But as the milk sits around in your breasts, the fat ("cream") creeps back up the ducts, leaving behind more watery milk. So a when a baby goes a long time between nursing sessions, the milk first available to him is the more watery milk.

When your baby nurses frequently, the fat in the milk doesn't have time to creep back up. Nursing frequently would result in your baby getting more "hindmilk", not more "foremilk".