Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One breast larger than the other

Default One breast larger than the other

My left breast is slightly larger than my right one. Will they eventually even out? Do I need to nurse on one side more than the other or continue to rotate each feeding? Also, if my baby is making hungry faces in his sleep, does that mean that he is in fact hungry? Should I wake him? Thanks.

Sarah

Default Re: One breast larger than the other

Hello Sarah and congratulations on your new baby!

Many women have one breast that is bigger than the other. The size does not necessarily have anything to do with how well it produces milk so unless you are having problems, you can continue to nurse him as you have been.

When you said hungry faces, do you mean that the baby is rooting in his sleep, and like he is about ready to wake up and look for food? Sometimes a sleepy baby who seems like he wants to eat will just latch right on without being fully awake. It is definitely worth a try. I did not wake my son to nurse him but we were not having supply problems or growth problems at all.

Hope that helps!

No, he is not rooting in his sleep. I just see his tongue moving like he wants to suck on something. We are not having weight or supply issues, so I think I will let him sleep. Thank you!

Sarah

I noticed the lopsided breast thing too. At first, that breast was my big producer. However, about 2 months ago (DD is 9 MO now) it switched. The other is still smaller, but produces more. The lactation consultant/nurse practitioner at our pediatrician said it's totally normal. I just rotate DD back and forth from one side to the other as usual, and she seems fine.

Same thing here. My left one is slightly bigger, ds prefers it, and I think the let down is easier but I'm not sure if that's all interrelated. Oh well!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

i have the same situation! but from what i can tell, my larger one is produces the same amount of milk. i was worried at first because the nipple on my larger breast seems to be larger, too.

Nice to know we're not alone...btw heathermama, I love your pic!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I have this exact same problem with one breast being larger than the other, however, it doesn't produce more milk as some of you have stated your larger breast does. Mine produces hardly any milk at all and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get more than one half ounce (1/2 oz) out of it. My other breast which is smaller will produce milk for forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    My left breast is slightly larger than my right one. Will they eventually even out? Do I need to nurse on one side more than the other or continue to rotate each feeding? Also, if my baby is making hungry faces in his sleep, does that mean that he is in fact hungry? Should I wake him? Thanks.

Sarah
    I noticed that I would get lopsided when I did not nurse evenly. Most likely if you just make sure you are nursing pretty even on both sides you'll even out. My 15 month old still makes sucking faces like she's nursing when she's sleeping. I think sometimes they dream about nursing. I let my daughter sleep and when she's hungry enough she wakes up.

I think it is pretty normal for babies to look like they are sucking in their sleep. My son has done that and I've seen other babies do that too! I think it is adorable.