Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: THRUSH - dosage for probiotics

Default THRUSH - dosage for probiotics

My friend has a 9 month old and they are battling thrush for the 5th time My friend's dd is 20 pounds and she would like to know the dosage for probiotics? My friend takes probiotics daily and stays away from sugar is quite tired of fighting thrush. She DOES manage to catch it early, and with gentian violet, vinegar rinses, etc, it usually lasts less than a week. HOWEVER, she would like to start giving her dd daily probiotics to try to keep the thrush at bay. Does anyone know the correct dosage for 2.5 billion capsules? Does she have to buy infant probiotics or can she give her the powder that she has in the capsules and mix it into her food?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: THRUSH - dosage for probiotics

I don't have any experience with it, but there's some info at Kellymom --

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/chil...enting-thrush/

Most sources suggest that both mom and baby take probiotics. Check your label for baby dosage – it commonly ranges from 1-3 billion active cultures per day.

Many recommend that you start with a lower dosage, and increase it after a week or so.

Some ways to treat baby

Open the capsule, dip your clean finger in the powder and let baby suck it off; or
    Mix the powder with a small amount of expressed milk or water; or
    Make a paste of the powder with expressed milk or water and swab it in baby’s mouth; or
    Add to solid food (for babies over 6 months).
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: THRUSH - dosage for probiotics

I have used the culturelle for babies and give an entire packet to my 10 month old. When DS #1 was really little, like 3 months, I dipped my finger in and let him suck it off a few times per day. That is in the Dr. Sears book I have.