Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hyperlactation!!

Default Hyperlactation!!

I think I may have Hyperlactation in my left breast! I have been EBF since my daughter was born 4 weeks ago starting about a week or so ago feedings on my left side has become awful she chokes, spits up and after each suck she pulls away and a mouth full of bm comes out leaving us both soked after our 15min feeding.. I have tried feeding her while I am laying downand having her sit up but it doesn't seem to help. Will this go away on it's own (once my supply evens out) or is this someting I need to personaly see a LC about?? Any tips or suggestions would be wonderful.. Thank you

Default Re: Hyperlactation!!

This definitely sounds like either overactive let down, or oversupply, or both. I am sure others will jump in with suggestions, but this link has some good information as well as links to other info.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Default Re: Hyperlactation!!

Will this go away on it's own (once my supply evens out)
    Yes, most likely. When baby is four or so weeks old that is the typical time for a peak in milk supply, and a peak in milk supply may cause forceful letdown or make it worse.

See the tips in the above linked article. I suggest you try the ideas for helping baby handle the flow for a while before trying block feeding. Most important, do not LIMIT or space out feedings at all, let baby nurse as frequently as baby will, or at least 10-12 times per 24 hour day at this age. Don't make baby take both sides per feeding if baby is happy nursing on one at a time. And avoid pumping, esp. on the over producing side.