Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and driving?

Default pumping and driving?

I have seen a couple posts where advice has been given to pump while driving. How is this done? isn't it a huge distraction, maybe even worse than texting? just curious how this has worked for pumping mothers.

Default Re: pumping and driving?

It's easy, and it is not a distraction to me.

I hook up, using a hands free bra, start the pump to make sure it isn't going to pinch or otherwise be a problem, and then start my car.

I adjust settings as needed. I can do this one handed, and it's been no more difficult than changing the radio station.

When done, shut the pump off. Leave everything as is until you arrive at the destination or stop your car.

Dont do massage or compressions unless you are at a red light or in stopped traffic.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I used to pump while driving all the time with no problems or safety issues. I would get the pump set up with a hands-free pumping bra, put on a nursing cover, strap on my seat belt, then off I go.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

The only time it was ever a "distraction" was when it worked so well that I filled up the bottles and started to overflow into my own lap. Then I quick turned the pump off and pulled over to clean myself up.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.