Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newborn twins, horrible latches, ready to quit.

Default Re: Newborn twins, horrible latches, ready to quit.

Thanks so much y'all!

Today started out a little better. I got some good stretches of sleep last night (around 3 hours at a time!), so I woke up a little less sore. I've gotten progressively sore as the day's gone on though... I just noticed that on the side August feeds on, my nipple ends up white, and so does the area around his mouth. I wish there was some way I could get his jaw to relax!

I do have a question about the nipple shield too... I also noticed that when we're done nursing, I end up with raised areas on my nipple where the holes in the shield are. Does that mean it's too small of a shield? Seems to happen worse with one twin than the other. I tried looking around for a size Large today to try it out, but didn't have any luck finding one. All the stores around here only carry up to Medium.

I got Karen's book on my nook, off to read...

I end up with raised areas on my nipple where the holes in the shield are. Does that mean it's too small of a shield?
    I would say probably yes. It sounds like the tip of your nipple is being pulled through the shield holes-ouchy ouch.

when your nipple turns white, is it burning or painful for a time after nursing?

A little bit of burning, till it gets back to normal, and general soreness in between feedings.

Searching the Internet, can't find anything bigger than the 24mm.... Bah.

between feedings have you tried lanolin or something similar to put on your nipples for soreness? are you able to let them get some air too? I hated friction against my nipples in the beginning, so after airing I would put on lanolin then disposable nursing pads before putting on a nursing tank/bra. I did lanolin after almost every feeding in the beginning.

A good latch can take a little time, and with smaller babies their mouths are smaller. it will get better over time.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Yup, I've been alternating Lanolin and Soothie Pads. Loooove the Soothies.

I've been pumping and bottle feeding for today to give myself a rest. I've been able to get around 2oz every couple of hours, so that makes me feel a little better about my supply! I've never been able to respond to a pump very will, and that's a lot more than I've gotten with my previous baby.

Since it seems like my supply is good now, should I keep supplementing 1oz after nursing? Or maybe cut it down to 1/2?

Try Tommee Tippee and Avent shields, found at BRU. They seem to fit better IMHO.

Watch the pumping....it's not as good for supply as nursing.

I know several moms of twins and even one triplet mom who have exclusively breastfed.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I also know a mom of triplets who nursed exclusively. If that can be done, nursing twins is certainly possible!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Shields- Ok I see aprilsmagic suggested trying a different brand, good. The designs are different, so that may help. I checked with a IBCLC and she confirmed 24 is the largest nipple shield available. She did mention that some German company is supposedly making a larger size, if I find more info on that I will let you know…

I also wonder-are your nipples pretty large? Pretty firm? Because you may be able to get off the shields-at least with the baby who is able to suck so hard he is pulling you through the shield holes. iirc you are using the shields due to latch pain and not because babies could not latch. Just a reminder, shields are usually recommended for when a baby cannot latch due to a mom having flat nipples-they act as kind of a nipple prosthesis, giving babies a firm, longer ‘nipple’ to latch onto. In my experience, moms have reported using them successfully for painful latch but it's not the general recommendation.

Wow! I am not a mom of twins, but my cousin is and I saw her nurse her twins long term! I was amazed by her, and her determination to nurse her twins! Please don't give up! We all struggle at times, and I know I have thought about giving up nursing 1 baby so many times! But I would keep going, try different things, enjoy little precious moments, and count my blessings for what I WAS doing, and not worry so much about what I wasn't. In time things would work out, babies can learn, and after a few months (it takes time!) you can get into a nice comfortable nursing pattern with the boys! I know you know this, but we all forget, and when you are sleep deprived, you are often too tired to worry...but make SURE your calories are high, and nutritious.and drink your water! Anytime I felt like I was low on milk I would think about the day, and realize I had been neglecting myself all day. http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...feeding-twins/ if you nurse in the same place, make a basket near that spot and put water bottles, snacks, nuts, granola bars etc..and eat and drink each time you nurse. Best wishes! Hang in there mama! Xx