Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weird things make your milk let down?

Question What weird things make your milk let down?

Thinking about DD certainly does, even when we're apart. Sometimes thinking of my two older, weaned boys makes them let down (mommy response!). But also when something makes me laugh, often it'll let down. Laughing at something my students say and it letting down is the weirdest thing. I guess it's a pleasure response, laughter = pleasure just like nursing does? It's happened once or twice during/before sex, too. Just wondered if anyone else had let-down when not nursing, for odd reasons!
    Last edited by @llli*josiewales; May 21st, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: What weird things make your milk let down?

I've mentioned this before, but until Joe was over a year, stepping onto the subway train (going either to or from work) would always make my milk let down. Even after I stopped needing breast pads 90% of the time, I would regret not wearing them if I had to take BART! So bizarre.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thinking "let down, let down, let down". I do it purposefully sometimes when DD2 is fooling around and not generating a letdown on her own, and I just want to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Thinking "let down, let down, let down". I do it purposefully sometimes when DD2 is fooling around and not generating a letdown on her own, and I just want to be done.
    Do you click the heels of your ruby slippers together while you say it? Sorry, for some reason, this just made me think of the Wizard of Oz.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but until Joe was over a year, stepping onto the subway train (going either to or from work) would always make my milk let down. Even after I stopped needing breast pads 90% of the time, I would regret not wearing them if I had to take BART! So bizarre.
    when i was late leaving work and a baby cried on the light rail platform or train i would letdown massively. after i stopped wearing pad every day at about 9 mo pp i had a couple of embarrassing days.

eta i have never been able to feel letdown so i had to feel dampness before i knew
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; May 21st, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    eta i have never been able to feel letdown so i had to feel dampness before i knew
    Whereas I always had intense (translation: painful) letdowns so I'd start to feel that ache coming on, and I'd wrap my arms tightly over my chest in the (forlorn) hope that it might stem the tide!

Definitely hearing other babies cry would make my milk letdown.

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Do you click the heels of your ruby slippers together while you say it? Sorry, for some reason, this just made me think of the Wizard of Oz.
    If I was being cast for Wizard of Oz, I'd probably end up as the Wicked Witch of the West.

yawning. so weird.

Yawning! How funny! I had to wear pads the entire time I nursed DS #2 (22 mo.) and I will the entire time I nurse DD now! Milk spots from letdown during biology class = not good!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

During the first few months my milk would let down at random. No rhyme or reason. I would suddenly just be soaked.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).