Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Itchy/sore nipples with poor latch

Default Itchy/sore nipples with poor latch

My son is 21 months old and when I am feeding my nipple is sore and itchy. My nipples are also sore after feeding. I thought it might be thrush but his latch has become very pinched on the last couple of days. His tounge is white but it could be just milk and there are no spots in his mouth.
    I wonder if people had any solutions or advice?
    Thank you

Default Re: Itchy/sore nipples with poor latch

Oh I forgot; he has been ill with a temperature and has been also biting during the last few days.

When a soreness issue crops up in a mama who has enjoyed a long trouble-free period of nursing, I always think "thrush or teething". In your case, I'm torn. The itchiness and white tongue make me lean towards thrush, but the pinching latch and biting make me think teething. Can you get in to see your doc? Having someone take a good look in baby's mouth might help rule thrush in/out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for the advice. I think it might be a poor latch and teething because tough looks OK now. He is still biting the areola and has a pinching latch. Finding it hard to improve his latch but have read other feed and I think I just have to be persistent. Well I love nursing a toddler so I will keep trying. Breastfeeding is a constant changing relationship which I love.

I am still experiencing problems. He still has a pierced latch and my nipple is coming out squashed. I am trying to improve it by going back to basics and getting him to have a deeper latch. He does not seem to want to tilt his head back and he keeps fight me when I try. I feed him in the cradle position. I wonder if anybody has any views on the best position for feeding a long toddler. Thank you for any advice.