Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weekend nursing miracle?

Default Weekend nursing miracle?

Hi ladies, I need your advice, and I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I have been facing a slow decrease in the amount of milk I am able to pump during my workday as a teacher. I used to get a solid 7-8 oz at each of 2 pumping sessions, which easily supplied the 10-15 oz my DS needs at daycare. However, I am having a harder time keeping up, as I am only able to pump 4-6 oz now, which means I am pumping 3-4 times/day to keep up. I plan on changing a couple of things, including replacing my morning pumping with a nursing session in the hopes that he will only need to feed 2x at daycare. I will also try pumping longer at the one pumping session I can do during the workday. (Unfortunately, I generally do not have an opportunity for a 2nd pumping session - I usually pump again at night before I go to bed.) I stay well hydrated, am quite certain I eat enough, and am as well rested as can be expected.

My question is this: DS takes a 5 oz bottle of EBM every 3-3.5 hours at day care. I am hoping to boost my supply over the weekend by nursing every couple hours whether he's asking for it or not. Is this wise? I am worried that he will want to take a bottle every couple hours when I'm at work, which would certainly not be helpful. I also realize that doing so does not give him an opportunity to express a desire to nurse or even to necessarily be hungry. I just really want to boost the supply so that I can keep up with him more easily. Any advice would be helpful.

Default Re: Weekend nursing miracle?

Sorry you're having trouble with the pumping, mama! It always seems to be the teachers and the nurses who have the hardest time maintaining supply, probably because their schedules are so tight and they don't have the flexibility to slip in additional pumping sessions even when they really need them. Not fair!

I think your weekend nursathon idea is a good one! It should certainly be helpful, but I don't know that you can expect a miracle from it. Your baby may simply take in the same volume of milk in more sessions, which probably wouldn't boost supply all that much. Not that I am trying to discourage you- again, your plan should certainly be helpful even if it doesn't garner a huge increase.

It's pretty common to need to pump at home in order to make up a deficit from pumping at work. That 7-8 oz you were getting initially is on the very high side for pumping output, and most moms cannot maintain that level of production for too long.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the encouragement, mommal!

How old is your son? You mention adding a nursing session in the morning that may help. Will you have time to pump for a few minutes after that nursing session? It won't happen right away but you may start to increase your supply that way. And I know how hard this is and I feel terrible suggesting it, but I know some moms need to wake in the middle of the night to add a pump session. Absolutely horrible when your little one is actually sleeping through the night but usually only a very temporary thing.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I think you should send smaller quantities in your bottles. Just because he drinks 5oz in a sitting doesn't mean he needs to. He isn't likely getting that amount of milk from you in a sitting! So I would send 4 3oz bottles. So if he needs extra, he can have a whole extra bottle and still eat less than you are sending him now. And I would just think in terms of getting to summer vacation. It's less than 12weeks away right? After that you will be home nursing on demand for 2.5 months? Do you have a freezer stash to supplement with if need be?

Way too lazy for formula

I was also wondering if you might be able to fit another pumping session in outside of work hours. Could you pump: (1) In the car on the way to or from work; (2) after baby's bedtime but before yours; or (3) early in the morning, before baby wakes up?

It's very common for moms to have to add a pumping session outside of work to make enough for the next day just because the pump doesn't work as well as the baby at removing milk. I'm a big fan of the commute pump myself, especially in the mornings, when you tend to be fullest.

Are you doing breast compressions while you pump? Over time, it's normal for your breasts to become used to the pump and you might need a bit more stimulation. That said, I agree that 7-8 oz is a lot - more than normal - and that might just not be realistic. Having to pump three times a day is pretty normal too. Still, try massaging your breasts more while pumping, it could help a bit.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.