Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Most effective treatment for thrush?

Default Most effective treatment for thrush?

I think my DS has thrush, so it's highly likely I have it as well. He's got white bumps on the inside of his cheek. Nursing has been a bit more painful for me, at least on the right, and I've had to turn down the suction on my pump the last couple of days. Initially, I thought he was just adjusting his latch because of teething, but after seeing his cheek, I think it might be thrush. He also has this diaper rash he got during the last round of antibiotics that has improved tremendously but not quite gone away. Frankly, I think we've been lucky not to have had it before, because we've both been on antibiotics quite a bit for the last year.

We've got a doctor's appointment later this afternoon to confirm. I want to be informed about treatments, though, when I go, so that I know what to ask for. The teachers at DS's daycare say that this is usually treated with "something that turns the babies' mouths purple", which I am guessing is Gentian Violet. From reading other threads on this board and Dr. Newman's website, it seems like Nystatin (spelling?) or Gentian Violet alone are not the way to go, but that Diflucan (fluconazole) for both me and DS is the most effective option. Do we need it for 2 full weeks? Is there anything else we should be doing? Do I have to sterilize pump parts and everything his mouth touches every night, wash my bras in hot water, etc?

Thanks for your help! I really want to get this under control.
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Default Re: Most effective treatment for thrush?

It sounds like you already have a good handle on the possible treatments. Most docs start with nystatin and graduate to diflucan if that doesn't work. Make sure both you and baby get treated, even if one of you is asymptomatic. And definitely practice rigorous hygiene: wash bras, towels, washcloths, burp cloths, reusable breast pads, etc. on hot, change them daily, and sterilize pump and bottle parts. Also, be careful with any milk you pump during this period: label it "thrush" and use it during the treatment period or save it for an emergency. You might even consider scalding it, if you intend to store it and need to use it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oy. I think I'll just dump the milk I'm pumping that he doesn't drink right now. I have a fairly sizable freezer stash, and I am pumping more than he drinks on average right now.

About the washing of things in hot: I have no issues with most of the laundry items, but my main concern is my bras. All of my nursing bras and the sports bras I'm wearing right now say that they should be washed in cold water, and most of them are fairly expensive (I'm a 34DD+ while nursing, so most of the less expensive bras aren't supportive enough for me). I'm afraid I'll ruin them if I repeatedly wash them in hot water. If you tell me I need to wash them in hot, I'll do it, and I'll go get a couple cheap ones that I'll use during treatment. But if I could get away with still washing them on cold and adding something to the laundry, like grapefruit seed extract or vinegar, and then drying them in sunshine, I'd rather do that. But I'll do what it takes to get rid of thrush, because I don't want to be dealing with it forever.

Thanks!

due with #2 6/26/2014

Get some cheap bras and wash 'em on hot. It's not worth the risk of reinfection. Sorry to be the laundry meany!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No, you are right! It's not worth the risk.

I've also been playing around with pump weaning. I'm doing my last afternoon session today. I think now is the time to get serious about weaning the morning session, too.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Do EVERYTHING YOU CAN to clear it and AVOID reinfection. I have dealt with thrush for months and I would have chosen to give birth once a month (I had a natural birth) over having it. I would also suggest to take probiotics. I still take 6 pills a day plus yogurt, and give some to the baby. The vinegar/water rinse is also good after nursing.If you don't want to wash your bras in hot water put all your bras in sunlight FOR A LONG TIME, wash them with vinegar. Boil and sterilize everything. It will be tedious, but worth it. I assure you.

I would try to combine treatments and be aggressive. The candida IS!

Good luck and just think, this too shall pass, that is what I did and I am still nursing my almost 14-month-old!!!!

L
    First time mom to Little Luisa.